In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

5.56 and .223

BallisticBallistic Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Ok I was in the army had an M4 forever and just built my own. I ordered ammo on the internet and online it said .223 and 5.56.

Box came in and says .223 Remington. In the military everything said 5.56 on it. I know .223 equals 5.56. Question being is .223 Remington the designator for 5.56 in the civi world.

I thought there was a .223 ammo out ther that wouldnt work in the 5.56/.223 guns, cant remember what it was called.

Just looking for clarification.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    This question probably has been asked many times but I don't know the answer. What is the difference with the 5.56 and .223 caliber bullets? I see Panther Arms sells both calibers so I surmise that the gun chambers are different and therefore the bullet case must be of different sizing.
    Can someone please explain the difference and if a .223 shell can be fired in a 5.56 rifle and vise versa?
    Thanks
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well they look damn near identical to the naked eye, and the cases are pretty much the same. But the main ifference is the pressure..The 5.56 operates at a much higer pressure which means that you shouldnt shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber but it is ok to shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber. So if you are refuring to an AR-15 it would be best to buy one with a 5.56 chamber.

CMMG M4A2
    CavArms 14.5"/1.5"
    Oly 20" HBAR
    Spring 1911-A1
    SIG 220
    S&W 629 Classic
    Ruger MK1
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the info. I uress it's safe to say a 5.56 chambered black gun will handle the .223 as well with no throat jamming problem but with probably less accuracy.