In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what to do about this?

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
First, let me say that as far as AK's and terminology goes, I have the literacy of a chimp, so this may read like it was written by a 6 year old. My apologies for that.

Anywho, I just picked up my SAR-1 last night. It's got some definite wear on it, although it was sold as new (and at a dear price). I don't know how much wear and tear is expected on an AK, but there's bluing scrapes on the barrel and receiver, and a couple dings into the wood (post-finish) on the foreend.

Also, when I pull the bolt back, it catches and refuses to go without a lot of force. The handle is catching on the upper part of the receiver (the first part you take off when disassembling), and once it's back far enough to reload, it sometimes locks there, just by the catching, but there is no latch holding it--just a snag alone the way. Should I file down that edge to make the bolt slide more easily, or will it perform fine on it's own? Should the bolt always try to close, or is there some missing part to hold it open (other than snagging on the way)?

Lastly, since the bluing is poor, should I consider having it redone at some point? (One of my buddies does a factory-quality refinish for $50) This will never be a rare gun and it will see a lot of hard use.

As always, input appreciated. Thanks.

O Lord,
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can,
and the supreme firepower to make the difference.

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, I would be breaking my foot off up somebody's a** for false advertisement! Since you didn't send it back right off the bat, I suppose you are kinda' hosed! There should definately be no kind of binding in the reciever/boltway...at all! The blueing should be better than you describe, but if you feel you will keep the gun then have your buddy do the #$50 reblue for you. I still come back to the same point; new is new, and should not have any kind of defect at all! I would contact the seller and ask them what they intend to do to make you a satisfied customer!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't use your foot.... use the SAR. Like 1kydstr said... new is new. ANYWAY... dings and scratches, and some blue wear are one thing..not operating properly is another. All my AK variants have a 'heavy spot' somewhere when drawing the bolt back, but it is normal engagement....not scraping on the top cover. As you already know, the AK's are not beautiful tack-drivers.... but they should operate under the dirtiest of conditions. If things are hanging up when it is clean, how can you expect it to operate after you pick it up off the sand and bang the loose stuff out. Even if you fix up the problem and keep it, I would still kick some sand up the sellers bore. Hey...we are probably more P.O.ed than you are.

Do the reblue. You may want to buy another AK type. We have one singled out as the only one for 'extended rapid fire'. With an 18 and 21 year old, their cousins and friends, and cans of cheap ammo, it is on it's way to being 'shot out' (they may not even notice).

Sorry you had a bum experience, once it's over enjoy that slap-happy rattle trap like the rest of us.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.
  • Options
    sr338sr338 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would totally file that snag down. Every AK I've ever shot has a point when you pull the bolt back and it kinda stops by itsself, and holds open. But like getstolenfrom said, there's no reason it should be snagging on anything.
    About the marks, lots of newer SAR-1s have handling and storage marks. And it its a SAR-1, why even worry about blueing it? They're tons of fun, but at the prices they're at right now,not exactly an "investment".
    AK's are tough mothers. I'm sure once you file it, it should function flawlessly.
    Have fun with it!

out to prove he's got nothing to prove.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gotstolefrom
    Don't use your foot.... use the SAR. Like 1kydstr said... new is new. ANYWAY... dings and scratches, and some blue wear are one thing..not operating properly is another. All my AK variants have a 'heavy spot' somewhere when drawing the bolt back, but it is normal engagement....not scraping on the top cover. As you already know, the AK's are not beautiful tack-drivers.... but they should operate under the dirtiest of conditions. If things are hanging up when it is clean, how can you expect it to operate after you pick it up off the sand and bang the loose stuff out. Even if you fix up the problem and keep it, I would still kick some sand up the sellers bore. Hey...we are probably more P.O.ed than you are.

Do the reblue. You may want to buy another AK type. We have one singled out as the only one for 'extended rapid fire'. With an 18 and 21 year old, their cousins and friends, and cans of cheap ammo, it is on it's way to being 'shot out' (they may not even notice).

Sorry you had a bum experience, once it's over enjoy that slap-happy rattle trap like the rest of us.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.

No, you're not, cause there's a gun in my house that I can't shoot yet![:(!]

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.