In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

chrome lined barrel question

mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
In an ar-15. what is the diffrence between chrome lining and chrome moly barrels? I have heard mainly it is accuracy vs wear. But, How many rounds would it take to wear out each barrel??? And is the chrome lined barrel better for use with surplus military ammo. because of corrosion?

muss

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong), chrome-moly is just a steel barrel. Chrome lined is a steel barrel with an extra layer to stand up to the abuse of lotsof rounds. Either barrel will be ruined by corrosive ammo if you don't take care of it. Chrome lined barrels last longer, and if you plan to do lots of shooting, it's probably worth the money. As far as how many shots until each is shot out, I have no idea.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good answere eastwood this is my understanding also.
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is my understanding also. Thank You,

I am just wondering how many bullets down the barrel would it take to "wear out" the two types of barrels? Does the chrome lining double, triple the life?

Are we talking 5,000 rounds or 50,000 or a million?

Any ideas?

Has anyone actually worn out a barrel, other than in the military. As a general guy who will shoot maybe 1000 rounds per year, is it worth me worrying about?

muss
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One rule of thumb often used on "top accuracy" barrel life is 40-45 POUNDS of powder, which is about 5000 rounds of 30-06/300WM ammo.
    A couple of things which affect the number of rounds, before rebarriling need to be considered, are 1) rate of fire, slow fire will increase the # of rounds, while "shooting until the handguard is smoking/barrel is red" will greatly decrease the life espectancy. 2) What do you consider "accurate enough" for what your doing? IE: deer at 50yd is different than groundhogs at 300 is different than PD's at 600yd is different than "military style" target is different than benchrest target.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.