In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fires on SAFE (stoger luger)

gunshybobgunshybob Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Have a Stoger Luger .22 Cal Pistol.
Gun fires on safe as well as on fire
can you tell me what I need to look
for to correct. Thanks! Bob!!![?]

Robert W. Priestley

Comments

• Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    If you need the owner's manual for this gun, please let me know and I'll mail a copy of it to you (need your address, of course.) [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the offer, but I have one, replaced the sear
    because someone had ground on it still have the same
    problem. [:D]

Robert W. Priestley
  • Options
    Glock.40Glock.40 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob,

I can't think of a better reason to keep your finger off the trigger than this. I think too many people rely on the "safety" on their guns and not on common sense. I'm in no way saying that's what you do so don't take this the wrong way; it's not meant as a criticism of you or your gun habits. My only point is: If you had been looking down the barrel when you discovered this malfunction, or been showing it to someone, the results would be catastrophic. [xx(] Your scenario is exactly why teaching people the proper way to handle guns is critical. If one of mine malfunctions, I want it pointed where it won't do any harm. (OR little harm as possible). OK, I'll stop now, just wanted to use this as a reason to demonstrate why you need to be safe every single time, regardless of the firearm or person involved; anything mechanical can and will fail.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In altering trigger pulls, the depth of engagement of the sear in the hammers' sear notch is most often decreased by grinding or stoning the hammers' sear notch depth.
    This means the sear comes out of engagement earlier. Safeties are adjusted at the factory to prevent disengagement from the original depth, not the lessened depth. A knowledgeable gunsmith adjusting trigger pulls also alters the safety to prevent disengagement of the sear prematurely. This is routinely done on target arms. If you understand mechanisms and can see how the safety functions to prevent sear disengagement then you might be able to properly alter the safety.
    In the absence of that skill, my advice is to additionally replace the hammer which has also likely been altered.
    I've seen altered guns go off when the safety is released.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks V35 I'll check the hammer and see if it
    has been altered. Bob!!!

Robert W. Priestley