In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 ammo question

CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Years ago I was buying .223 ammo supposedly canadian 62gr at the shows in lake county, and it had loaders and strippers made of plastic that could also be burned as a solid fuel. Does anyone know where to find this again. Thanks for the read..

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM Shriner Life Member

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    We were told that the best round for this caliber is the SS109 ammo with the green teflon tip. Anyone know where you can get this ammo or what distributors carry it if any. We have never heard of it. Thanks...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Colt AR-15. This is the first .223 I have owned.I am looking to purchase 500/1000 rounds at a time.What is the best ammo for the dollar? I heard bad things about the wolf/russian stuff.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember it well from the late eighties.It came in 600 rd ammo cans with those plastic 10 rd stripper clips, mag loader, and in cloth bandoleers.It was NATO marked SS109, Canadian surplus.I found it interesting that mine is marked 1985, which means it was only a couple of years old when I bought it.It was by far the best 223 I have ever fired.I wish you luck finding it, I haven't seen it available for many years.My source dried up about 1990, and I stopped shooting it. I have kept 6 cans for my "Stockpile" and stopped plinking with.I wish you luck!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Damn, thats it. Now to find some and your right it was probably the best ammo I ever had including match ammo. The strippers could be used as a solid fuel and the loader also. Lets find some, and btw the dates you mention are exactly right and I ran out this year.

PJ

quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    I remember it well from the late eighties.It came in 600 rd ammo cans with those plastic 10 rd stripper clips, mag loader, and in cloth bandoleers.It was NATO marked SS109, Canadian surplus.I found it interesting that mine is marked 1985, which means it was only a couple of years old when I bought it.It was by far the best 223 I have ever fired.I wish you luck finding it, I haven't seen it available for many years.My source dried up about 1990, and I stopped shooting it. I have kept 6 cans for my "Stockpile" and stopped plinking with.I wish you luck!!!

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM Shriner Life Member
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll keep my eyes open, but I don't really look anymore.Aside from the 6 cans I have stored ,I have more 223 ammo than most 3rd World countries.What shooting I do now is fed by many cases of Winchester White Box[purchased as many years ago].

Another mfg. that I considered an equal to the Canadian ammo was Nato Spec produced by FN-[Belgian]. Still have a few cans of those as well that I've saved and don't plan on wasting any of the good stuff unless the SHTF.,..here in Kali that will be when the big one hits[8D][8D]

• Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    watch ammoman.com for swiss .223
    it has the plastic stripper clip but no loader to fit a mag
    comes in a metal ammo box filled with 50 round boxes 1000 rounds to the can
    delivered to your house for $199.00
    you have to wait for it as they don't have it verry often

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep an eye on the site.

PJ

quote:Originally posted by snarlgard
    watch ammoman.com for swiss .223
    it has the plastic stripper clip but no loader to fit a mag
    comes in a metal ammo box filled with 50 round boxes 1000 rounds to the can
    delivered to your house for $199.00
    you have to wait for it as they don't have it verry often

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif

editorialcolor.bmp