In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun stock checkering

TimothyPTimothyP Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys, I am considering gunstock checkering full time as soon as my shop is finished. No more full gun repairs, but checkering only.
Laminated stocks are not a problem, just the detail cannot be as good as a hard walnut stock. I was in the gunsmith business for over 21 years, and am semi-retired. Any thoughts about the demand for what I want to do? I will need the income to supplement my social security income in a few years.

TP Smith-Lyon

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Unless you have been at it for a while, with a good customer base, and a lot of back up advertizing, I would think you may have a time of it trying to make any decent money doing checkering only. But in the good old USA anyything is possible.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    TimothyPTimothyP Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I have a pretty large customer base after twenty something years, and I have thought about advertising with Rifle magazine one year at a time. I agree I would probably starve if depending on local work, but there might be enough of a demand to take in work if I had a web site. Have been exploring that also.

TP Smith-Lyon