In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

is it the scope?

wldlfe4mewldlfe4me Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
i have a remington model 788 6mm that i purchased used topped with a simmons aetec 2.8x10 scope with a sun shield(that was purchased new but on clearance i do believe it was a return) the gun just don't want to sight in and the variation can be variable and wild at any distance. i've got new weaver mounts on it was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Comments

• Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to start at the foundation when troubleshooting an accuracy problem. I would make sure that bases are tight to the receiver, rings are tight to the scope and bases, also check to make sure your stock screws are snug or as tight as you prefer. I also make sure that the bolt handle when closed is only touching metal and not resting on the stock. Then clean it really good. Then shoot it. If you have the same trouble put a scope on it that you know is a proven shooter and try again. The 788 in 6mm should be capable of very good accuracy if fed good ammo. My hunch is you have a bad scope even though a lot of folks here are fans of simmons I prefer Leupold and Burris.
  • Options
    TimothyPTimothyP Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. The 788 normally shoot very acuurately. Clean the barrel and check your guard screws to make sure they are tight. Shoot the rifle with a scope of known reliability. You will probably find that the scope is the problem.

TP Smith-Lyon
  • Options
    Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i fully agree with all the above excellent advice... i was thinking also "maybe"..[?]..How does it shoot with out the scope? 788 has barrel sites. Is the gun original...i mean did anyone change the barrel ... 244 ammo is the same in that chamber,u could try them, but mostly its the scope--- just thought

confused....but learning