In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.375win in 38/55 336cb

jake1369jake1369 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm new to this so don't kill me, but here goes. Is it safe to fire .375win factory loads in new mariln 336cb chambered in 38/55? A fellow who shoots at our club has one and shoots 220 grain 375win rounds. Is he looking for a short life or is this Ok? Don''t want to hurt my rifle or me for that matter. thanks Jake

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    JAKE,
    DO NOT DO THIS,
    They are awful close to being the same but the 375 Winchester is a lot more potent pressure wise than the 38/55........
    If it was a brand new modern rifle it could possibly be alright, but in a older Winchester it would more than likely cause you a problem.
    Lifes just to short to do this no matter who else shoots it.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When that fella is shooting ... don't be anywhere near him!

There is a significant pressure difference. I don't have a load reference manual handy so I can't tell you the specific difference, but it is much higher than the 38-55. Even a modern firearm, if it is designed around the 38-55 cartridge is not safe for the 375.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    don't know if it matters or not but the Marlin 375 and 38-55 are both build on a 336 action,, now there may be a difference in the heat treating of the metals for the different loads but the basic frame is the same ,,,,, totally in the what its worth department