In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield Garand

haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I traded for a Springfield Garand today, made in 1942, rebarreled by Springfield in 1952. Muzzle erosion is a 2. How can I tell if it has all original parts?? All the major parts are marked S.A., but I know the numbers aren't the serial number. Serial number range is 573XXX.

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    A few years ago + (it feels like a decade), I bought a newly produced Garand, by Springfield.

Still, to this day, I haven't fired it. So, it's in great condition, save for a bump, here or there. I think I have the original box, and everything that came w/it.

At the time I bought it, I really wanted a Garand but, I felt WAY too overwhelmed by the Garand market (so much to know, when dealing with rifles that could have fought in WWII). So, when this Garand came to the market, I figured, what could be better? A brand new Garand by Springfield, this is a no-brainer, right? [:D] It takes all of the guess work out of the purchase, I thought.

But, I've come to learn that these rifles were assembled on cast receivers, and they used a variety of parts to build them. [V]

So, these are my concerns:

1. Are these rifles any good?
    2. Do you think that these will be collectable, in any way?
    3. Anybody have an old range report on this rifle?
    4. Do they have decent barrels?
    5. Walnut stock, or was it some other wood?
    6. Cast receivers -- they sure don't sound very sexy. [xx(]

I'm inclined to think that it will not be collectable, in any way. I'm thinking that I should just shut up, shoot it, and enjoy it, right?

I've searched the Internet, and it's been tough to build a case for this rifle, good or bad. I know that folks (some) into Garands had contempt for these rifles. I'm thinking that, considering the fact that SA was using USGI parts, that these rifle posed a threat to those in the market USGI parts.

Also, it's been tricky trying to find these rifles auction side. How do you search for a SA Garand that's less than 10 years old? [:p]

Any thoughts?

**Edit:

Well, I just pulled the rifle from the safe, and it doesn't have any bumps or bruises, knock on walnut/wood. [:D]

Since I've managed to keep it in pristine condition, and the fact that I have the box (says I bought it in 2002), I think I should keep this one, and sell something else. Well, unless somebody has to have it. [:0][:p]

Honestly, I want to buy a nice Garand from Mark. But, I need make room for it, as these darn Garand's take up A LOT of room. Plus, if I sell something I already have, I won't have to take as much money out of the bank, to pay Mark.

So, I'm just trying to sort thru what I have, and what I should do -- sounds like I should talk to a shrink, huh?

I'm looking at it (the SA Inc. Garand) right now, and it's a nice rifle. [:)]

Not too long ago, I bought a '43 Springfield Garand (the receiver's from '43; other parts, IDK) from a friend. But, to be honest, I don't know if I have a good rifle, or something that will blow up in my face (I think the rifle's safe, I'm just trying to add humor to my post). [B)] This is what I should sell, I think?

So, it's back to somebody I trust, I think I can trust Mark. If he says it's good to go, I'm thinking it's good to go.
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A simple reply - you can't.

Sarcastic humor a specialty

Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harold you have just entered the incredible world of restoring your Springfield Garand. Right off the bat I'll tell you it is not all original. The fact that it has a 1952 barrel says that it was reworked in the Korean War era. What you need to do is start with Joe Poyer's book "The M1 Garand 1937-1957." Think of that as a very basic primer on M1 Garands. If you get addicted to restorations you will have to get Scott Duff's Garands World War II(The Red Book). I have been shooting Garands for 25 years and never gave a thought to value of originality, only shootibility, but a friend of mine on this board does a great deal of Garand restoration work and has opened my eyes to the addiction. Luckily I have resisted the addiction and only experience the addiction vicariously through him. Beach