In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope

chrisdinechrisdine Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a good..not great scopr for a Winchester Model 70 30-06. The P.O.S on it now has such a narrow field of view. I would like one that allows for more of a full field view. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a ART II scope and it looks to be in good shape.
    Can any body tell me who made it,and any value. The only thing I can see wrong with it is a little foging on the lense.Is there any body who can work on it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can a rifle scope be used on a shotgun? I have a 3x9 that I was thinking about putting on my fully rifled 11/87.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a cva 50 cal I would like to put a scope on it for deer hunting does anyone have any ideas on a not real cheap but not top dollar scope good for about 100 to 150 yards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am mounting a new scope on my 7 mm the front of the scope touches the barrol should I get taller rings or shim the front it is a simmons scope 3x9x50 if that helps
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dang, Polaris 700 is what I have too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a pre 64 Model 70 in 270 that has a Leupold 3 x 9 VXII. It works find but Id like to find one that is better in low light. Would ya'll make some suggestions?

Thank you

Rex
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know who might make a 3x9 scope with a post Thanks Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone make a scope with a post reticle I herd Nc star mightThanks Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    allright experts! whats the best value in a 100 to 300 yd scope? Not just the cheapest but the best value, i dont mind spending but dont want to just buy a name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,Just mounted the scope on my CVA .50 cal rifle. Does any one have the way a home gunsmith can be sure they have a level horizion line on their scope? Thanks for all the great advise I always get from this site.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like input on medium priced rifle scope for 223cal. Needs to be bright. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was wondering. Will a Gamo scope fit my Benjamin 312 rifle with the proper mounts. If so are the mounts available?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a modle 70 308 win and am in need of a new scope. my problem is that I do not know what I am looking for when I go out to buy one. If any one could give me some tips about buying a scope that would be excellent. thanks chris

chris bouldman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    recently bought sonaernice model 70 pre 64 in 308, plan to use as my personal rifle for deer and hogs, hogs out to 300 yds. any reccomendations on brand of scope and rings ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need some help before i call in the cavalary................ I have a new 3x9 by 40 Leopold scope on my new 223 Remington BDL rifle.....

I had them mount lower rings (maye my mistake) but the scope just touches the rear ramp..... the edge of the scope.

Either way, after about 200 rounds of ammo and 5 trips to the range, and countless adjustments....I was able to walk my 5 shot groupings up the paper and to the left so that I am "X" high but still to the right about 2 inches in 50 cent piece groupings..... I'm happy with the performance, but cannot seems to get to the "X".....

I am stopping at the gun shop today to ask them, but I am not sure if the scope can be zeroed out too far so that it will not adjust anymore...or I may have another issue...

OK....I'm open for suggestion...and admistrator
    if you could allow this to go to more than 10 if it gets going. Thanks for everyones help (in advance)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I mounted a red dot scope on my SuperBlackhawk 44mag my problem is after about 8 shot the scope moves.I have tighten and retighten the screws on the rings.what can I do to stop this from happening.[url][/url]

Edited by - Max ranger on 07/26/2002 21:49:18
  • Options
    Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the gun you own deserves a good scope. .308 has a good range distance wise, at miniun 3-9X 40 is what i would do, other may have a difference of opion, scopes [you check] today have lots of options you can get AO, side focus, terret knobs, different kinds of cross hairs, dots,etc. depending on your most use, hunt or target will determen those options, if any?...But buy quality or it will come back an bite you in the *. 1st choice for an your model 70 [for me]i would buy a Leupold, 2nd at less $$$ is Redfield. its kinda like putting $20 speakers on $700 stereo unit......u'll complain the stereo sucks...[:)] or trying to figure out whats wrong w/the scope adjustment ., etc/

confused....but learning
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    check out www.bearbasin.com for all your scope needs
    burris fullfield II in a 3x9x40 are going for around 190
    leupold or nikon are just a little higher , either would do the job
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many rifles do you own? How many are you likely to buy over the next several years? If your answer in not many or less then seriously think on spending on the scope about the same money as you spent on the rifle. If you have lots or rifles and scopes then a selection is in order. If you only have one or so then you want your optics to be of high quality as they are all you will be using. I'd recomend at the low end a Burris fullfield II. At midrange a Leupold VX-2 and higher a Leupold Vari III. If you don't like longer shooting get a 2x7x33. For farther shooting 3x9x40 or 3.5x10x40. For pure target, no hunting intended, 4x12x40 and up.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some Burris 1.5X6 Signature scopes on my high powered rifles. I love them. If you hunt in an area where bears may stop by and say "hi", the 1.5X power on the low end is real nice. You can even see the end of the barrel, so seeing a charging bear is easier. If bears are not an issue for you then a 3X9 might serve you as well.

If you can compare the different scopes on a test stock it is very helpful to see differences in brightness and edge to edge clarity. Most good gun shops have a set up to compare scopes. Its well worth the effort to look at many different types before you decide on one.