In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pocket Defense

j-f-firstj-f-first Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello again friends,
I have a good friend looking for a small,lightwieght,auto,that he can carry in his pocket for self-defense.He wants something along the .380 or .32acp range,and he doesn't want it to feel like he's carrying a pocket full of rocks !!,I am a FFL dealer and suggested the Kel-tec .32 as it is light,and small enough for a pocket,as a second choice the NAA .32 Guardian,although it does outweight the Kel-tec.It so happens I have neither in stock at this time that I can physically let him "try one on ",but we would like any comments,or suggestions from the readers.Thanks again for the help,John

J&F

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is sure to garner the 10 post limit before it's over, but I guess everyone else is asleep right now! O.K., comments and suggestions...How's about an Airweight-type .38 spec. revolver? Sure beats a .32 or .380. Personally, I don't care for Kel-Techs, but plenty of folks do. I think that tiny, cheap, and good don't all happen at once. Your customer needs to re-think his requirements and carry ideas, get away from a pocket and into an inside-the-pants holster, and acquire something just a little larger and a little more powerful. Even if it's a bit heavier, a better carry method will distribute the slightly heavier weight better, and he'll be ahead.
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a close look at the Kel Tec P3AT. 6+1 shot .380 that loaded weighs only 10.8 oz. Great for conclealed carry, easily fits in your pocket.......
    http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at_pistol.htm
    http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=6368404480c09c1ed331d64ee35c1dc3
  • Options
    j-f-firstj-f-first Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer a .357 snub nose tucked in a inside the pants holster,but He doesn't feel comfortable with a holster,safety is a big issue also,he doesn't want something discharging while in his pocket,yet He wants it to be "ready to rock" when he draws.Keep the comments & suggestions coming,Thanks,John

J&F
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what's available on the new market, but avoiding the double action feature so as not to have the gun "go-off" on it's own, would lead me to one of the miniature 1911s in 380.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I'm not sure what's available on the new market, but avoiding the double action feature so as not to have the gun "go-off" on it's own

The only one you could be talking about is a Glock,certainly not a Kel-Tec ? I have three and think they're Great.[^][^]

standard.jpg

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Great pocket gun. Light and hammerless. Use .38spl.

S&W 340PD

SW%20340PD%20Right%20Lasergrip%20CloseSM.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Well, .380 and .32ACP are both pretty marginal on stopping power.

I'd suggest something like the S&W Model 340PD: http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293600&item=831388&sw_activeTab=1

It's small (J-Frame), light (12 oz.), snag-free for pocket carry (hammerless), and packs a helluva punch (.357 Magnum/.38 Special +P).

Whoops, mateomasfeo, you beat me to it!!![:D]
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Great pocket gun. Light and hammerless. Use .38spl.

S&W 340PD

SW%20340PD%20Right%20Lasergrip%20CloseSM.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye

This is hard to beat with a pocket holster. They are Great.

The .38 supers are also great.

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a 32 Kel-Tec, but generally I carry a 40 S&W Kel-Tec P-40 in a pocket holster where ever I go. I believe in using the most powerful pistol that I can carry comfortably.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little hard to come by now but a .357 SIG conversion on a Keltec, P11 frame makes a very serious pocket hand cannon.