In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 1885 32 Short

mikeyoungvcu89mikeyoungvcu89 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I recently aquired a nice Winchester HighWall that is stamped 32 Short. I think this must be 32 Short Rimfire.
Anyone know anything about this Rifle Combination ?
Anywhere to obtain ammo ? - I know I'm not going to find it at Wall-Mart :)

thanks in advance!

mike/

Comments

• Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike...

Yes, you could say that I know just a "wee" bit about the Winchester Model 1885 Single Shot[;)]. What specifically would you like to know about it? For what it is worth, I am currently in the process of writing a new reference book specifically about the Model 1885, and I have gathered a rather large amount of research material about them. I have a question for you... are you sure that you have a high-wall? The vast majority of Model 1885s chambered for the 32 Short cartridge were low-walls.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    mikeyoungvcu89mikeyoungvcu89 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, you are correct. I belive its actually a low-wall - I compared pics of a stevens low wall - which really doesnt look much like it at all, but I think on a high-wall only the tip of the hammer is exposed.
    Its a beautiful gun and begs to be used. I havent found much info on this caliber - does the rarity of the ammo affect the value in a negative way ?
    The bore looks excellent - maybe beause no ammo could be found ? :<
    Could this gun be re-worked to another cartridge and if so, how would that affect the value ?
    How common was this chambering and what was its primary purpose ?
    When is your book due out?

mike/
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please don't ask Bert if your low wall could be rechambered-we really do want him around to finish his book! I can see him clutching his chest in dismay at the very thought. And, yes, Bert, when are we going to see your book?-we're waiting patiently! -Asa
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike...

Unfortunately in the case of your low-wall's cartridge chambering, yes, it does have a slightly negative affect on the collector value. However, ANY 100% factory original Model 1885 Single Shot is worth a fair bit of pocket change (at least $1200 for a Plain Sporting Rifle low-wall).

As for the bore being in really nice condition, several different factors could be the cause... (1) it was a very late production made rifle (the serial number will tell me when it was made), (2) it was a well cared for rifle, (3) it was a seldom used rifle. If it was a late production manufactured rifle, then any ammo that was fired through it would have been non-corrosive smokeless powder.

The 32 Short was a relatively common chambering in the Model 1885, and in several other makes/models of single shot rifles from about 1880 - 1910. It was primarily used as a pest control/small game cartridge, and it has an effective range of about 75 yards. The 22 Long Rifle (due to its lower cost) essentially killed the .25 Stevens and .32 rimfire cartridges.

Now, as for rechambering your rifle... yes, it could be done, but it is not a job for just anyone. For instance, you could rechamber it to 32-20 (32 W.C.F.) centerfire, but it will require changing out the breech block and firing pin, the extractor (after recutting the barrel for the different extractor), and reaming the chamber for the larger (longer) 32-20 cartridge. The cost to do something like that is not exactly cheap, and at the same time, you will have significantly degraded the rifle's collector value. Personally, I strongly recommend against doing anything to it other than cleaning it.

Finally, I have no idea exactly when I will finish the book... I have been at it for 2.5 years now, and I feel that I am only about 50% complete with my research. The further I get into it, the more I find that needs to be researched. I am also accumulating hundreds of photos, and am compiling a statistical database on all of the surviving specimens that I can find. To that end, if you would like to have your low-wall added to the list, please send me an email at Win1885@msn.com and I will forward a survey form to you.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!