In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin Camp Rifle 9mm

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
Is it worthwhile to have a Marlin Model 9 as a low cost "plinker" or should I save my money and buy a Ruger Mini 14?

I like the idea of low cost 9mm as it matches my P89 and it would be easy and inexpensive to scope but is it only good for shooting tennis balls at the range?

The Mini 14 is more $ and I guess the .223 is a more versatile round although it is more expensive to "plink"with.

Anyone out there have both?

Comments

• Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go the 9mm as you have matching mags and common ammo. Best, Robert[;)]

"Endurance"<P><br>
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, I would go with the Camp Carbine for plinking. I have a Camp Carbine in 9mm, and thats about all I use it for.

I use my .223's for competition and hunting. Ammo for the 9mm is cheap when compared to .223 and the 9 works well at "plinking" distances.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Look at the Ruger 9mm carbine you may be able to use the same magazines as your hand gun. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    The p89 is a Ruger 9mm handgun isn't it? If so I would consider getting a Ruger 9mm semi auto carbine becasue I believe the two would use the very same magazines as well as ammo.

There is just something cool about having a sidearm AND a longgun which shoot the very same ammo AND have interchangable mags.

But that's just me.[:D]

Oh, BTW I have a Marlin Camp 9 and a few S&W 5900 series 9mm semi auto handguns. Same ammo, same mags. Very cool.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look the camp 9 over well. I've had two and both wore out the buffers. Sold them both.
  • Options
    gunguy30_06gunguy30_06 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend had one that he won in a raffle, it was an ok gun, as far a cheap plinking. The triggar on these rifles are the heaviest i have ever expirenced. My freind had my sell his at a gun show so he could have more money to buy 7.62*39 for his sks. The sks is a more powerful plinker and the ammo is cheaper.