In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Solid Bullets like Barnes of Lost River Ballistics

Ackley Improved UserAckley Improved User Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any experience using solid bullets like those marketed by Barnes or Lost River Ballistics. They have great ballistic coeficients, but DO THEY KILL GAME quickly? Are they accurate? Look forward to hearing from you. Regards, AI User.

Comments

• Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AIU, I haven't had any experience with "solids" from Barnes, but I do use their X bullets (solid copper, no lead)in some of my light rifles.I have had extremelygood results with the 52 and 53 grain Barnes X on Deer and Antelope size game from .223 Rem, 22/250, and with the .243 and 85 grain Barnes X. All bullets have exited and expanded very well causing immense damage. The Antelope was taken at a no foolin' 400 yards, 53 gr Barnes X in a 22/250 only going 3800 fps the bullet exited and he went down with tons of lung damage. I haven't used them on 30 cal rifles yet but I will. They have been very accurate in the .224's and 243's however I found that I have to clean a lot more often than with other bullet types ( softer copper? =more fouling?) Try 'em you'll like'em.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting the Barnes Triple Shock in a 6mm Remington #1B Ruger with better than expected accuracy, and nowhere near the brass fouling the X bullet caused, velocity was up a little also.
    Same thing for my 338 Win Mag with the 185 Triple Shock in a #1B Ruger. As soon as the weather breaks I'm
    going to check out the TS's in a 25/284 lilja barrel and see if they will keep up the good work. They may not be as accurate as the Ballistic Tips are in these guns, but close enough on deer sized critters. (within a inch of the BT's )
    I havn't been lucky enough to find one after a hit because they go right on through. I have dug them out of a dirt bank and I don't think I'll ever blown one up on anything.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I don't care for the solid copper or copper alloy bullets for a couple reasons. Fouling is more of a problem because the bullet is not as compressable than a hollow jacket filled with lead. Since it doesn't compress as well, there is more resistance to the reduction in space due to rifling, causing more metal to be rubbed off during the exchange. The grooved bullet from Barnes is an attempt to reduce the friction and fouling, but is best to avoid the unnecessary problem. Secondly, the bullet doesn't "expand" in the classic sense, but rather has front sections that "open-up". In doing so, the designers need to determine a minimum and maximum operating velocity. If velocity is too low, the wings don't open-up and you have a "solid", velocity too high and the opening wings are riped off, leaving a reduced weight, wadcutter. The more often seen result is that the wings break-off sequentially- that is, the bullet opens up on one wing faster than on another. The result of this is the bullet now has a rudder steering it. On chest shots it isn't that big a deal, because the bullet will have gone through to the lungs before it changed course and exited from the side, but on those shots needing penetration, the bullet may make a left turn inside the animal before it gets to the vitals. Many like the solid bullets, particularly in the .33' and larger bullets, but I much prefer a copper jacketed, bonded lead core bullet to any of them.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had custom loads done by Lost River Ballistics twice (J36 bullet). Once for a Sako Warbird and once for a Rem 7mm Ultra mag. Both were excellent with accuracy (5/8" moa on both) and performed great on the deer I shot (7mm Ultra I only shot paper). The only drawback was the cost of the ammo. The service was great also. If you can afford it it is worth it, no complaints from me.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    Ackley Improved UserAckley Improved User Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies guys. I concur copper fouling is a problem - I've shot the the Lost River Ballistic bullets quite a bit. They shoot well in most guns - must be seated off the lands to get good accuracy. Being less compressible, they also tend to cause higher pressures for any given load - be careful. Also, they cost ~$2.00 per bullet - but, they are SEXY with the highest BCs published.

With Swift Scirroco and Nosler BTs the LRBs don't seem necessary.

The blue-coated Barnes bullets also boast high BCs and great kills - all with less fouling and greater velocities. Do you buy this?
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't used the Barnes "Blue Bullets"yet so I can't say if they reduce fouling or not, I have a hunch they work as moly coating has been popular with some target shooters for awhile. I have bought some Barnes triple shocks and haven't loaded them yet but they are supposed to foul less than the original Barnes X. Mind you I haven't been dissatisfied with the Barnes X but I do pay attention to cleaning far more frequently than standard jacketed bullets.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want a high BC, look at the clinch river pills. High BC's without the exagerated price of LRB or barnes.

Also,..if you want tissue damage AND high BC,.start loading some of the accubonds[8D] These things are amazing. My antelope at 407yds this year was pummled by a 160gr accubond leaving a 7mm rem mag. They fly true and harvest what they hit.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?