In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Carbine CA-Legal?

dbrighamdbrigham Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
Are the cabine kits that you slip onto a 1911 receiver legal in CA? They look like they'd be fun, if you didn't have to be looking over your shoulder all the time ....

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

Comments

• Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I'm fairly sure they are legal. I believe it still counts as a pistol and if any LEO stopped you and ran the numbers on it in the AFS (cali automated firearms database with all registered AWs and handguns on it) it should come up as a pistol in your name (so long as you dros'd it into your name in the last 15 years or so). Thus the officer would know it went thru the dros process. I can't think of any specfic law it would violate, so I think you'd be in the clear. Maybe Mark knows for sure..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the fore-end of the kit has a place to put your off-hand then it would probably violate the handgun section of SB23. So long as the kit had no forend or barrel shroud, has a unthreaded barrel, seems like it would be legal.

SB23:

Pistols
    (4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
    (B) A second handgrip.
    (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to
    fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
    (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
    (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So Mark if the barrel was under 16" would it still be a pistol or is the carbine stock what makes it a rifle?