In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK-47 kit question

deerslayer865deerslayer865 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking to buy a ak-47 kit and found one at sportsmanguide.com(http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=170599) its a used russian parts kit. So my question is it says everything is include but the receiver so I found one here on gunbroker(http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=28430258)
will this one work and would that be everything I need to put it together. Thanks everyone

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I know someone who got a sportmans guide kit and apparently it was all there except the reciever. He was quite pleased with everything but added a US stock set and muzzle break to it.
  • Options
    mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not want to disappoint you on your project but do you realize that the sportsman's guide parts are off a Milled receiver? enlarge the picture You will need to buy a milled receiver ($400+ ) from a company called Firing line. or modify the existing trunion to work with the receiver. ( there is a video by a company called ohms research showing this procedure) Have you built any ak's before ? If not you can go to http://www.ak47.net/forums/board.html?b=4 and look in the "build it yourself forum", Which will give you alot of things to evaluate and a lot of people to help you out with your project. Be sure to be 922r compliant, which means only having so many (imported parts). I might also add that I purchased 3 russian ak kits (folders) last august from sportsman's guide described as Excellent condition and 1 kit was immaculate and the 2 others were , as a polite description..... Ridden hard and put up wet at best. Note the phone operator insisted they were stamped kits when they were actually Milled. I needed a tetanus shot just looking at them. 2 were sent back. The "guide" is very loose on grading them, Advertising dept. may not know what shipping is sending out. I have heard complaints on the straight stock kits also. You Might get lucky. It depends on how much work you are willing to put in to your project. Also There's no guarantee on correct head-spacing on kits so be prepared to check that. I do not want to scare you away but there's a few things you may not be aware of . Above all be safe and good luck on your project.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of good places to find a kit, you can do a search or e-mail me if you want. To use that receiver you must have a kit for a stamped receiver. The other things you need are either a screw kit or a bolt kit, a center support as well as many U.S. made parts to get the parts count correct, must be sure that the barrel is over 16 inches in length, or permanently add something that makes it that long. Then you need tools to press the barrel out of the trunnion to remove the old rivets and install the new ones. It is more work than you think it is.
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also hear that the guides kits are from real ak's meaning they have full auto trigger groups. Just be careful what parts you own.

The ATF thinks that possession of a receiver and full auto trigger group is the same as having an illegal machine gun.

Be Careful.

muss
  • Options
    sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone I know just ordered two of these, he told me that the parts that are missing are replaced by milled SKS parts. I dont see how, I think he's in for a dissapointment. Not to mention jail, since he wants to make a full auto gun.

shane

sig.jpg
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Tapco is a good source also for kits. AMD-65's are very good quality and well under $100.