In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

12 ga. SABOT SLUG. Which??

fundaddyfundaddy Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
Have a scoped 24" rifled slug barrel. Hear so much on Win Partition Gold sabots but just saw Brenneke KO SABOT round for $5 less per box.
Are the Win's that much better than other Sabots (remington sabot, Lightfield, Brenneke sabot) ?
I want to extend range as far as possible.
Thanks.

What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? Deut 4:7

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of different Slug guns and my son's each have one also. Each one groups better with a different brand of Sabot. The only way to make a determination as to the best Sabot for your firearm is to try them all.

This is especially true if you are trying to extent the range of your shots. Not all Sabots will perform the same at greater distances.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Lightfields but have used some others. They were the most accurate in my 11-87.

A. Golden
    S&W .357 mag
    S&W SW99
    Desert Eagle .50AE
    Springfield 1911
    Always looking for more!
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Winchester golds didnt group well

out of my gun,I also like the lightfields and the lightfield lites

But each shotgun will be differant
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    William is right. The only real test is to fire all brands to determine which your particular gun digests the best.
    I shoot a Rem 11-87 special purpose with a rifled chock. It's accurate and deadly @ 100 Yds. and I use 2 3/4" 455 gr. (50 cal.) sabots by BRI. The gun will shoot 3" but I'm very satisfied the the 2 3/4" performance. Don't have many shots beyond 100 yds. anyway.
    Good Luck and Stay Safe...................................
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot a lot of deer with the brenneke. They are always good groupers out of my 21" rifles barrel. I have shot both the cheap ones and the expensive ones. The only diff. I see is the amount of cash flying out the end of the barrel.

muss
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried all of the main big name sabots and the best performers were 2 3/4 Lightfield Hybred EXP's. They are 1 1/4 oz with 1454 ft/sec muzzle vel, with 2564 ft/lbs of energy, with only 3 3/4 inches of drop at 125 yards,and less than one inch deviation brtween 25 and 100 yards. I have personally taken deer at 168 yds and 156 yds, with most of my deer taken at 100-125 yds. I would highly reccomend these, and as far as cost the average is 9.99 a box of five, I hope this helps, good luck...

GO BIG ORANGE !!
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "fundaddy":)

If you should ever need "EXTREEME" FIREPOWER, then may I suggest that you might want to look at www.dixieslugs.com. They are designed to turn a shotgun in to a African Paradox Gun.

I am not about the tell you that that are as inexpensive as the stuff you can buy at "Wally-world" or "Sear's-Mart". This is for "SERIOUS" big/dangereous game.

May I suggest that if you do try the product ---- the finest there is in my book ---- start off that the LOW end with the Terminator. Capping off one of the Exterminators will be a "religious" experience.

Best Regards To You And Your:)
    AdamsQuailHunter
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To date, my favorite slug is the Winchester Supreme Platinum tipped 400 grain sabot (about $10/box). I too have seen the Brenneke KO sabots. To me the only real difference is the quality of the bullet itself. The most expensive sabots use controlled expansion bullets originally made for rifles or pistols while the Brennekes' bullet is much more like a traditional foster slug (all lead)just smaller bore size to fit in a sabot. Nothing really wrong with the performance of traditional slugs if you can get them to hit where you want them to.

I plan to test out the accuracy of the KOs as well - but if they group well, I'll hunt with them & try them out. The 3" KO looks pretty close to the Win Plat Tipped ballistically.