In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sig 40 problem

kpsimpalakpsimpala Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
hello to all. I have a sig 40 cal model p229, the problem is that after about 40 or 50 rounds the return spring (braided) seems to unravel then gets pinched and inlarged at the 5th coil, and the slide sticks. I contacted the company they inturn sent me 5 new springs of different lenghts. well to say the least I'm on #4 with the same results on all. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me.I did have the dealer assemble the gun also, that was #3. same thing. Or do you think I should send it back to the dealer? I like to shoot and don't really want to be without for weeks.need help thanks... kevin

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    kpsimpala:Welcome to GB. I have owned the P229 and never had this issue. Are you using factory ammo? Did you purchase the hand gun new? Something is causing the spring to malfunction. One malfuntioning spring is a spring issue sseveral springs is something else. [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    kpsimpalakpsimpala Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kpsimpala
    hello to all. I have a sig 40 cal model p229, the problem is that after about 40 or 50 rounds the return spring (braided) seems to unravel then gets pinched and inlarged at the 5th coil, and the slide sticks. I contacted the company they inturn sent me 5 new springs of different lenghts. well to say the least I'm on #4 with the same results on all. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me.I did have the dealer assemble the gun also, that was #3. same thing. Or do you think I should send it back to the dealer? I like to shoot and don't really want to be without for weeks.need help thanks... kevin

thanks for the welcome hello.. to answer to all, yes gun is new, yes new ammo not reloads..(federal or remington)
    i have checked to see if there is a bure on the slide there is not i can't find or my buddys anything that would indicate what is going on i'm stumpt..
  • Options
    2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New gun,I'd be sending it back to SIG, along with the springs. They should pickup the tab on shipping, both ways.

As gap1916 said, its the gun, not the spring.
  • Options
    mjclothiersmjclothiers Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does this gun have a plastic piece in the center of the spring. If it is like my Sig sp2340 that may be malfunctioning or what not. see if you can try another one of these to see if this my be the problem not the springs itself. I could be way off just a thought.

Good Luck
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,010 ******
    edited November -1
    The P229 should have a multi-strand braided spring.

On our guns, the center strand sometimes extrudes. When this happens, I replace the recoil spring. I have never seen this happen multiple times and never in a gun that isn't used much.

Have you a camera? Can you post or email pictures of the problem?

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net