In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger 10/22 customization

zspeed130zspeed130 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a Ruger 10/22 I aquired a few years ago. It is in fair condition and has is basically untouched in the manner of improvments. Because of its relativly low cost I thought it would be a fun gun to tinker with(customization,trigger job etc.) I am curious as to the most cost efffective mods to make it a real tack drive. I am not interested in spending a forune($200-$300MAX!),and I prefer to do the work myself. What suggestions does anyone have? I like the thumbhole stocks but am a lefty,I would settle for something else maybe a psg-1 style. Also I would like to dress it up as I go,nice lokking accesories fluted Bull barrel etc.
Thanks
ZSD

Comments

• Options
    Dutchman008Dutchman008 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The left handed thumbhole is available from Midway. It is a bit pricey if you want to keep the $300 limit. Around $150 IIRC.

The 20/22 is a snap to customize. Every part is available as after market. Even the reciever. Take a browse thru Brownell's and Midway before starting.

dutchman

It seems that the older I get, the better I used to be.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi zspeed130,

You are correct the 10/22 is a fun gun to tinker with because of all the aftermarket part available. A person could easily spend over $1000.00 dressing out a 10/22, but there are several important modifications that will improve the accuracy and function for much less.

One of the first things that must be done to improve accuracy and friendlyness of the 10/22 is a drop-in trigger job. There are several makers of drop-in trigger groups and all will bring the trigger pull to somewhere around 2.5 to 3 pounds. The parts needed include the trigger shims, hammer shims, replacement hammer, sear, sear spring and trigger return spring. These all come in pre-packaged kits and go for about $50.00 at

www.MidwayUSA.com

Much, much more can be spent on trigger parts but the ones above will make your trigger do all it needs to do.

The stock barrel must be replaced with either a match bull barrel (0.920 inch diameter) or a factory contour match barrel. The big difference in barrels made for the 10/22 is probably providing a tight chamber. The factory barrels are known for a loose chamber so a custom barrel with a Bentz chamber will resolve this problem. This is probably the second biggest bag for the buck.

If you purchase a bull (0.920 barrel) barrel, the factory stock will have to be replaced with an oversize stock unless you want to modify your own stock. Many choices are available here as you have already mentioned.

Replacing the bolt is sometimes an acceptable practice because the factory bolts seldom fit square to the chamber; however, unless you have lots of money (~$200.00)the rifle can usually do without this.

Another good piece of equipment for the 10/22 is a one-hand magazine release. This drop-in part makes the rifle more user-friendly and elimantes the use of two hand to free the magazine. These don't cost much.

To improve reliability, install a sharp edge claw extractor with overpowered spring. These improve ejection which will be needed with the tighter chamber and will improve reliability. These cost about $10.00.

A bolt buffer should be installed in the reciever to reduce the pounding of the bolt to prolong the life of the rifle.

A 3x9x44 scope mounted to the rifle should give you adequate optics and sight picture, although you could also add a magnification scope in the event you are into some types of match shooting.

The below picture is a .17 HMR 10/22 (if that makes any sense) that I made out of a 10/22 Magnum. It has a factory contour Jarvis custom match barrel and 3x9x44 scope for fun. I wanted to retain the factory appearance of the rifle because it only needs one stock for either the .17 HMR or .22 magnum platform.

Ruger_17HMR.jpg

Ruger_10_17.jpg

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What does it take to convert to the.17 hmr,can I do that by just replacing the barrel
    ZSD
  • Options
    notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zspeed,

First, you cannot convert the 10/22lr to the 17hmr caliber. You have to have a 10/22 Magnum gun to make the conversion to 17hmr.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take a look around this site.they can answer all your 10-22 needs.
    www.rimfirecentral.com don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Zspeed,

The previous answer was correct - the 10/22 LR cannot and should not be converted to .17 HMR.

That being said, a coversion that can be made is to convert the 10/22 LR to the .17M2. This is a very real and easy conversion to perform by again, changing the barrel.

A note of caution is warranted for this conversion: The bolt must also be changed out. The most inexpensive bolt found thus far is from E. Arthur Brown Co.:

www.eabco.com

The bolts go for about $50.00 from about company. Valquartsen also makes a bolt with carrier, and theirs is about $200.00 in cost.

Really all that is needed for the bolt conversion is more mass for the bolt and bolt carrier which the above bolt provides. The .17HM2 turned out to be hotter than the any of the ammunition or firearms manufacturers thought possible. The .17HM2 causes the unmodified 10/22 LR bolt and bolt carrier to move too fast, thus changing the timing of the semi-auto action. The exact problem was shucking a cartridge from the chamber while it was still igniting and before chamber pressures dropped. As you can imagine - not a good scenario.

Some people do not believe this and as evidence I offer the following: Green Mountain Barrels has a statement on their website "GREEN MOUNTAIN WILL NOT BE PRODUCING A BARREL FOR THE 10/22 IN THE 17 HM2". Well this was really after the fact. A previous Cabela's catalog offered a .17 HM2 barrel for the 10/22. When trying to order, Cabela's stated the product was canceled.

In a personal email from Bill Jarvis of Jarvis Custom he states: "we are no longer making any 17mach2 barrels for the 10/22. Case head separation is occuring in semi autos with the mach 2. The conversion is going to require a bolt change. jarvis,inc"

While aftermarket .17HM2 barrels can be purchased on the open market, users of these barrels should be strongly urged not to use them unless the bolt conversion is also performed for safety reasons.

I would make this conversion in a heartbeat (both .17HM2 barrel and bolt) but currently no manufacturer is offering a factory contour barrel that I am aware.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks heavyiron,
    What are the functional differences between the .17 and .17m2? is there any crossover in ammo(will one fire the other? Again thanks for your help, I do not want take to much of your time.

"You dance with the Devil the Devil does'nt change pops,the Devil changes you"-Max California
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Green Mountain barrels. I built one with this barrel and it was a real tack driver. It was some years ago but I remember it was an in-expensive piece. Hope this helps.
    JC

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Z,

The .17HMR and the .17M2 are related (both .17 caliber and both use the same bullet [17 or 20 grain bullet] for the most part) but different also.

Approximately the same comparison can be drawn between the .17HMR and the .17M2 as can be drawn between the .22Magnum and the .22LR. This is literally true because the .17HMR is basically a .22Magnum case necked down to 0.17-inches. The .17M2 is basically a .22LR case necked down to .17-inches. Muzzle velocity for the .17HMR is about 2550 fps and the .17M2 is about 2000 fps. So I guess to understand their relationship you might refer to one as a .17Magnum and a .17LR. Therefore, AMMO IS NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.

The .17M2 was just introduced this fall so there are not as many guns, aftermarket parts, and sometimes ammunition as there is for the .17HMR.

Z, since you already have the Ruger 10/22 you could add a factory contour match barrel to your reciever and turn it into a tack driver as Hivoltg indicated. This would allow you to use your factory stock. Or you could get a bull barrel with an oversize stock. Either would be really fun. You could also add an extended round magazine, like a 30 or 50 shot mag, and then you would have a tack driving hi-cap 10/22. The only limitation with the 10/22 is your imagination.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]