In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

t/c contender barrels - HELP!!!

dirtcopdirtcop Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a .243 barrel for a newly purchased tc-g2. I called myself checking everywhere but to date have come up empty handed. I would like as many web sites as I can get. I've tried Bullberry and did not see a listing for .243. I'm not into handloading so the "wildcats" do not appeal to me. Sure could use some help

Comments

• Options
    buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the g2 contender will not handle the pressure of a 243. you will have to get an encore frame and barrel if you want a 243
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I don't understand the pressures that these seem to produce, but bullberry makes a 6mm bullberry improved, 270 and alot of, I though,large calibers that would also produce chamber pressures that would exceed that of the .243.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you go to www.bulberry.com you will see that there are alot of calibers that can be produced. It just seems that .243 would fit just fine in there lineup. I hope I'm not showing how simple I think!
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I've never seen a 243 barrel for the contender ,nor have i ever see 1 listed anywhere for a contender , now I have one for my encore ,its a 15" blued , if that helps at all , have you thought of going to the encore in stead of the contender ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also have an encore with a .243 barrel 23" and love it. It is a a great shooter and very accurate. I really like the feel of the g-2 and thought, if I could find one, a 243 would be just the ticket. Thanks for the advise, but doesn't it seem to you that as popular as the contender was or is, that the caliber .243 would be offered? Especially since they are wildcat'n 6mm's for it. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because I've been a t/c fan since the Seneca days. In Tennessee the lowest caliber legal for deer is .243 and would like an "over the counter" cartridge for my new g-2. Have I beat this "dead horse" enough? Let me know and I'll quit ranting and raving!!!
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As buckdeer says, the T/C Contender and G2 frames are rated for cartridges that develop a maximum of 44 to 45 KPSI chamber pressure. The Encore series will handle up to 55 KPSI.

The .243 Win cartridge is a high pressure loading that develops in the 55 KPSI range.

Have had several bullberry barrels for the Contender and they all worked quite well. Give them a call and talk to the Whites (Fred or son) and ask what chamberings they offer in the G2 line.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    dirtcop i hear what you're saying but I think you're out of luck on this one , you may want to look at the 7x30 waters , factory ammo iis a little hard to come by , but if you reload , you can neckdown 30-30 and you can use good pointed bullets instead of all the round nose ones that are loaded in it by the factory, I have one in the 21" carbine barrel and its a nice little deer gun , good luck on your quest [;)]
  • Options
    blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dirtcop.....it's not a 243, but the 250 Savage will cover just about everything that the 243 will and factory ammo can still be purchased. Not at every corner store, but most good gunshops. I also find a lot at gunshows.

I have a barrel made by SSK Industries in 250 Savage and it is a shooter. Probably my favorite barrel. It was made for the Contender and will fit the G2 also. I have not seen that many, but there is one for sale on eBay now. A little pricy, but a solid system. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73945&item=7132060256&rd=1

And if you would like to try reloading, a used Lee Loader in that caliber is very cheap (<$20) and works very well, just not fast. All you need are primers, powder and bullets. And a kitchen table. :)

max

load the old ones with the old tools.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to thank all who replied. Ya'll have put my mine at ease but I shall not give up my quest. I didn't know about the preasures that were allowable in the g-2 and I had not thought of the 7-30 or 250. Both sound great. I have emailed Fred @ Bullberry but have yet to get a response. I understand that they are quit busy with the barrels and all that. I'm sure I get a response. Again-Thanks to all!!! When I have a question I will know where to go.