In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Gov't Mark IV jammed forever??

merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
Shooting holes in paper with this almost new semi-auto which was operating fine. Had shot one clip through it. Put in a new clip. After one shot the slide came back ejecting the spent case, pushed a new cartridge from the clip into the chamber but the slide did not fully go foreward into battery. The hammer is cocked but the slide is about1/2 inch from fully closing. Can move the slide about 1/8 inch and thats all. Note: I am fully cognizant that there is a loaded round in the chamber. I removed the clip, and removed the bushing and recoil spring. The hammer is tied back because it has its own spring. There is some thing rattling around in the slide/receiver cavity-maybe some thing broke. But right now I want to remove the hammer or its spring. Anyone have anything like this happen to them? I"m not sure that a gunsmith would even handle this.

God helps those who help themselves

Comments

• Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few questions to get a better picture...

First. Can you post some pictures showing the chamber and extractor engagement?

Second. Were you shooting re-loads?

Third. Is the extractor engaging the case rim?

Fourth. Is there a gap showing showing between the top of the barrel (locking lugs) and the slide, indicating complete engagement of the barrell and slide?

Yes, you can remove the mainspring housing. Push the mainspring housing pin out (boottom rear of grip). Pull out the mainspring housing, and your hammer will have no strength to fire, not that is would since the disconnector is presently deactivating the whole thing anyway.

Usually in a situation like this the normal thing to do, (provided the extractor is grabing the case rim) is to grab the slide firmly with your left hand then hit/slap the back of the grip forward with your right hand. This will usually pull the shell out of the chamber and clear the whole thing.

But you say that there is at least a half inch before complete battery. This may indicate that your slide and barrel locking lugs are out of engagement, and jammed/fused together. If this is the case, you will need to secure your frame in something like a vise, and them using a piece of hardwood or hard nylon, position it against the breechface, right in the 1/2" inch gap at the barrell hood, and then with a hammer give the "wedge" a couple of good raps to force the slide back and away from the barrel. This should also extract your round from the chamber.

Then have your gun examined by a gunsmith for proper barrel link size, and cycle timing.

What is rattling is probably the recoil guide rod still inside after you removed the bushing and recoil spring.
  • Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Radcat, you were right on target. The extractor had engaged the cartridge groove, and I was able to push the barrel foreward which pulled the lead bullet out of the cartridge. It was a reload - probably too long and the slide refused to go fully into battery. Previous to doing that I had removed the mainspring housing to relieve spring pressure on the hammer. One learns from the school of hard knocks. But you certainly knew what you were talking about!

God helps those who help themselves
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    you could have removed the firing pin to make the pistol safe while doing the other work. easyer that driving out the main spring houseing pin under spring pressure.