In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unusual Model 70 Winchester???????

chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
Sure would Appreciate some info. Has NO drop Mag Just trigger gaurd, Bolt is a lot differnt, has remington style push feed, with Sako style ejector and the bolt shoud is differnt than all Winchester I have seen. Does Not look to be to old, I bought it used. It's very Acc. chambered for 300 Win Mag. Could you tell me when it was made and who was it made for? almost forgot Ser # G13006xxx Thanks for any reply's

Comments

• Options
    South40South40 Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin MR7. These were also sold at Sears as J.C. Higgins brand -- S40
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is on the rifle? Does it say Winchester Model 70?

The serial number is consistent with a model 70 built in 1978. Sounds like the post-64 configuration as suggested below.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like my post '64 westerner with acaptive magazine. Nice enough rifle, just all the collector nuts can't stand anything post '64.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    win. m-770?, same action as the 660 & different than the m-70
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On the barrel is stamped Winchester model 70- 300 win mag. Thanks guys
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out this auction 28467504. I believe that you are the proud owner of a model 670. They had a blind mag, push type feed and had a Remington style safety on the right rear of the reciever, which would account for your observation that the shroud was unlike any Winchester you had ever seen. I can't explain the barrel legend, unless someone put a modified 70 action into a 670 stock, but that would not explain the safety, which would have been a weird and difficult alteration. These do not generally command as high a price as will a pre-64 or rare chambering (like 225 Winchester)Md. 70, as they had less desireable features and the wood was normally of a lesser quality. All told, your's has me a bit confused because of the discrepancies in markings, but I think that is the action you have.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1kydstr, Thanks for your time, Safty is 3 posision winchester type, As far as resale I do NOT want to sell it. it shoot's better than most model 70 winchesters.[:0][:0]I would like to know when it was made and why did they (Winchester) change thing. I called Winchester and talked to a woman that said that her book was not new enough. Other wise she didn't know how to look it up.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chuck, see my post above. It appears to have been made in 1978. You might check with BertH or Onlywinchesters for the why it changed.