In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help On Terminology

notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
For you experts:

I was just on the Simpson Ltd. site and had a question regarding some of there terminology. I was looking at some of the Luger's and was curious as to what is meant by "straw" in their descriptions?

I.E. - description states 100% blue and 100% straw

Non-expert here that needs enlightened.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this case, "straw" is a yellow color left by the heat treating process. It wears off from handling, so "straw" is good.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello until the very late "Black Widow" Luger. All lugers were not Hot Blued so the outside was Blue but if you took the gun down for cleaning ETC the inside was "IN THE WHITE" steel colored how ever the Trigger, takedown lever and safty lever were heat treated and came out a light yellow/ tan "STRAW" color . as Tailgunner stated Straw is good.My suggestion is to deal with someone Like Simpson if you are buying a high end collector luger . unless you research and know what you are looking at .As with most guns of higher value there are some slimeball sellers that will try to "PULL A FAST ONE"
  • Options
    notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I had seen this terminology on Simpson's site on numerous occasions and was clueless to what this meant. Again, your input is greatly appreciated. At least I will know what they are referring to.

As far as buying a Luger. I wouldn't attempt to buy one because I don't know the first thing about them. Therefore, a seller would probably see me coming a mile away. I wonder if there is sellers out there who would take advantage of my lack of knowledge.[:D][:D][:D]