In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg 22 Rifle

notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have bought an Model 142-A O.F. Mossberg clip feed bolt action rifle.The barrel is marked 22-s-lr. The front of the stock folds down into the vertical position & is made of plastic. It has sling swivels on the left side & a front post site and rear peep site. I can find no serial numbers anywhere on this rifle. Anyone have any ideas on age and value?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a Mossberg, Model 40, 22 bolt action rifle today. I looked the gun up in the "Bluebook" and it gives a mfg. date of 1933-35. It does not note how many were produced.

Does anyone have different reference source that might note the production numbers? Also, the "Bluebook" does not give a serial number range. Were these guns marked with a serial number? I don't have the gun yet and I didn't ask the seller if it had a serial number.

Has the aperture rear sight and hooded front and a 24" barrel. Seller stated that the gun would shoot less than 1" groups at 50 yards, with standard velocity ammo. He also stated that the gun doesn't like the high velocity ammo. Anyone have experience with this gun?

thanks in advance for your responses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have searched for a couple of days with no luck. I have a Mossberg Model 1 46 B-B and would like at least some history about it. I can't find any serial number, at least not any conventional looking number. The two holes are there for the peep sight but I don't have it, I will be searching that also if it was supposed to be there. It has a pop-up front ring sight and a plain blade type sight on the rear. Does anyone know the dates this rifle was built, where any serial number might be, and if it was a rifle built for target use (peep sight has me wondering about this part)?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vic Havlin's Book would be the best reference for data on your rifle.
    He is also the president of the MCA. Sells all kinds of parts for the older Mossbergs.

http://www.mossbergcollectors.org/

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NUMRICH ARMS CATALOG
    has a terrific breakdown of MOSSBERG guns by year of production, lettered variants, specs, chronology, etc...

it may be helpful for all MOSSBERG owners.
    best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.