In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 Springfield **PICS** just got it!

IncarcerationFacilitatorIncarcerationFacilitator Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I just got a WWII vet bring back Springfield 1903. The serial # is 1,371,0xx which dates it at 1931. The barrel is SA '39 and it has the a scant stock with finger grooves. The trigger is smooth, as is the butt plate. I believe (help me out on this one experts, that it is an "A1". By checking the serial # on OldGuns, many in serial #s in the range around mine were National Match versions. The stock was cut by the person who brought it back, can't be fired as is, and its pretty loose (would slip until it hit the front sight if the sling wasn't on). It has a small arsenal repair on toe. Any suggestions on fixing it or what type or replacement stock should I get to keep it as original as possible.... even if I have to get the "$$$ C-stock $$$." I paid $400 for the rifle last week, what do you think??? Thank you in advance for the help....

100_0721.jpg
100_0745.jpg
100_0749.jpg
100_0741.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is in the S stock, not the scant stock. Too bad it has been cut. The rounded out grasping grooves would suggest it has been sanded. You didn't mention barrel date. That would let us know it has been rebarreled. I agree that the sn puts it in the range of a bunch of NM 1903's. The NM bolt would have been polished, not blued, and probably would have the rifle's sn etched on it. The brass parts on the sling suggest it is a pre-WWII sling. Is it dated? I would suggest having the stock glued together. I have no way of knowing how much the curf took out but it could be patched, or whatever to get it to the correct length. A pre-WWII C stock will be hard to find and expensive.
  • Options
    westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have any anserse for your qoestions, but i have to say thats a nice find and Good LUCK![8D]

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may be able to find more on your serial # at:

http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

Even if your rifle was a NM, & even if it still has a barrel with the star on the crown, it's been sufficiently altered & mutilated to the point that it has little collector value. So, any M1903 stock, either USGI or commercial, marked or unmarked, will be fine for use as a shooter. In any case, the correct original stock would cost more than the rifle is worth (IF you could find one).

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, gentlemen, for the help. The barrel is dated 3-39 from the Springfield Armory, so it is a re-barrel. The sling, from what I can see, is not dated. There is a mark (stamp) on the crown of the barrel that I am not familiar with. It looks like a circle with lines coming off of it (like when kids draw the sun). Obviously, I am not well versed in the 1903's, but this one seemed attractive because it is not "CMP green" refinished. Thanks again.
  • Options
    BonJoeVBonJoeV Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a nice '03 for $400. Why would somebody cut a stock like that? Sanding it was bad enough!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The stock was cut by the serviceman (my coworker's father) who brought it back. He had to fit it in his sea bag, and for some reason, the cut there helped. I dunno.... Its a shame. Anyway, he was on a ship during WWII, and they were throwing the '03s into the ocean after thier M1s came in..... bigger shame.
  • Options
    BonJoeVBonJoeV Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's about the only answer that would make some sense. As if there wouldn't have been enough room on the ship, after the Marines got off, to bring them back. I would love to own a Marine '03 A1... They're hard to come by now.