In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1895 Mauser - 7mm x 57

himeeto69himeeto69 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited March 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am getting a 1895 Mauser - 7mm x 57. Is there a conversion to this ammo size to a military round like a .308 or something like that. I'm also wondering if there's a conversion chart to tell what the conversions are. Does anyone know where to find parts for this rifle if they aren't on here. And if they are on here can someone post the auction #'s if you have the stuff for sale. I'm also looking for the AGI DVD for this rifle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world, he didn't exist" -Keyser Soze

J.D.C

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Converting an 1895 to .308 Win. has been done, but isn't the best of ideas, as the .308 generates higher chamber pressures than the designers of the 1895 had in mind. The 1895 lacks that third safety lug found in the 1898 model, which works very successfully with the .308. The 1895 was once very common on the surplus market, and you should be able to find almost any part for it from the Numrich Gun Parts Corp., www.e-GunParts.com
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Der Gebirgsjager
    Converting an 1895 to .308 Win. has been done, but isn't the best of ideas, as the .308 generates higher chamber pressures than the designers of the 1895 had in mind. The 1895 lacks that third safety lug found in the 1898 model, which works very successfully with the .308. The 1895 was once very common on the surplus market, and you should be able to find almost any part for it from the Numrich Gun Parts Corp., www.e-GunParts.com

P.S. There's nothing at all wrong with the 7x57mm cartrige. One of the all-time great hunting rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry I wasn't very clear guys. I meant that I was wondering if there is a conversion like the 7.62x39 converts to .308 or like a round converting to any common military round. I'm not trying to convert the gun, I'm trying to get info. on round conversion. What does the 7.62 round convert to for calibers? Or am I way off here. Plus I'd also like the other questions answered. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world, he didn't exist" -Keyser Soze

J.D.C
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are way off base on conversions.
    The 7mm (.284) diameter barrel would never let a 308 bullet pass thru without serious problems for whoever pulled the trigger.
    There are some chamber inserts out there that let you shoot a same caliber round with a smaller brass case .the insert fills up the space.
    Some 93 Spanish 7x57"S and Brazillian 95"s were rebarreled ,not rechambered, to 308 NATO . They will accept the 308 standard round. The 308 Nato load is supposedly of lower pressure than our 308 factory loading. Ive shot these and had no problem , I usually handload with a mild charge. The inserts in my opinion are dangerous ,when you extract a fired case the insert could come out and flip away with the brass and when you bolt another round unknowingly you get an unpleasant surprise.The only rifle chamberings that fire other rounds would have to be something like a 44 Mag firing the 44 Special or a 38/357 chambering.
    RIFle cases must fit the chamber very
    precisely ,they cant be interchanged even if the bullet is the same diameter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry again. I mean what does 7.62x39 =. Like a 9/32 is pretty much the same as a 7mm for sockets and wrenches.

J.D.C
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.62mm=.308" , 7mm=.284" , 6mm=.243" or are you trying to ask about case vs caliber? Off I hand I would suggest that you pick up a decent reloading manual, even a non current edition, and read up on the basics. Many of these manuals have gosseries and excellent descriptions of what makes up a cartridge. At least then we would all be using the same basic vocabulary in trying to ask and answer these questions.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Is that a Chilean Mauser?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    Is that a Chilean Mauser?

Yes, I believe so. Anything specific you had in mind on that specific model?

J.D.C
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of these and they are good shooting rifles with the right 7mm Mauser ammo. I will give you one hint. 175 gr bullet is about the lightest weight that will stabilize in these.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    OK....here's what I think you're asking.

7mm Mauser is also known as 7x57mm. The first number is the caliber, 7mm or .284 inch, the second number is the case length, 57mm or 2.24 inches.

Another instance, you mentioned 7.63x39 (as used in the AK47 and SKS)....7.62mm = .308 bullet diameter. 39mm = 1.52 in. case length.

Modern American cartridges are usually designed by caliber only. Older cartridges from the blackpowder era, are designated by the caliber and the normal loading of grains of blackpowder....for example, .44-40, .32-20, etc.

European (metric) cartrdiges are usually designated by caliber (in millimeters) x case length (also in mm).

Some, a few, are known by both American and European designators....for example, .308 (Winchester) and 7.62x51mm NATO. Same cartridge, just different names.

Cartridge designations are very, very confusing, so if you're not confused now......you obviously don't understand the situation! [:D]