In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

price suggestion?

suemarksuemark Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited March 2005 in Ask the Experts
colt single action 45, nickle plated, pearl handle, low serial number.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's kind of like my asking for a house appraisal & saying "I have a 3 bedroom rancher; how much is it worth?"

We just don't have enough information. We need a detailed description of the gun, including photos. And, probably a copy of the Colt factory letter.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you have a good start but the price can change as much as 500% just with a few facts. We need detailed close up pictures . Colt started the serial # three times first with no letters then with letters S A some where in the serial . How long is the barrel? and what is the finish BLUE or NICKEL what Kind of Grips Wood ,Rubber,IVORY etc the answer to these questions will help us give you better Idea.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry she already stated that it is a nickle plate gun, with pearl handles. We do ned more info though. Pictures, very detailed description, and serial number.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    We'll definitely need the Serial #, exactly as it's written, including whether there's an SA prefix or suffix (you can "X" out the last two digits of the number). For example, Serial # 12XX, or SA12XX, or 12XXSA. Also, a photo will be very useful.

Those will tell us whether it's a Bisley, or a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Generation Single Action Army...which will have a great affect on it's value.
  • Options
    suemarksuemark Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SORRY, I'M NOT GUN OR COMPUTER SMART. I DON'T HAVE EQUIPMENT TO TAKE A PICTURE.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would go look at the completed auctions on Colt pistols like Yours .With out having pictures you are in better position to decide what is close to your gun. I know you said your pistol was Nickel and had Pearl grips but was trying to let you know that every little item can make a differance. If Your serial # does not have the Letters S A in them then this would be a 1st Generation gun and worth big bucks You should get in contact with colt to get a record of gun and then get a hands on Appraisal. Only look at pistols that were sold not just offered to get a price.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe this will help. If your gun serial number, found several places on the gun, the same every place, has no letters like S or whatever before of following the numbers it is likely the early model. If the nickel is not worn off and the grips are real, not plastic, the nickel is original not re-nickeled, it could be worth $2500 to $5000 or more. The lower the serial number, the better the condition of the piece, the higher the value. What the others have said is that a lot more info is needed to give anything like a meaningful value number. Highly detailed pictures will help a lot but what you really need is to have someone knowledgable of early Colts look it over and give an opinion. If your gun is authentic, early, all original, and in excellent condition you may have a piece of exceptional value. Take good care of it an protect it and yourself against theft or fraud.