In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt mustang vs. Walther ppk/s

mario3327mario3327 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a colt mustang .380 in stainless finish. I purchased this gun new and it has had less than one box of shells fired thru it. It is still basically in new condition with origianl case and all the paperwork. I am considering selling it or trading it for the new walther ppk/s royal oak. The one with all the engraving work on the slide. I have noticed on gunbroker that the colt mustang is going for as much as or more than the walther ppk/s royal oak is selling for. Am I far fetched in thinking or is it a possibility to get enough out of my gun to purchase the walther or even possibly do an even trade with a dealer? I am not set up to sell on gunbroker so would probably have to do this locally. If it is possible I will probably try. However, if You all think that I am going to have to put in some boot, I will probably forget about it and keep my mustang. Just curious on every ones opinion before I try.

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the Mustang..and also buy the Walther...Thats what I would do.

"GOD created Q-tips for cleaning GUNS...not EARS."
    a1peteshooting.jpg50bmg2new.jpg
    "You can run....but you can't hide."
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mario,
    Looked at the Walther, that sure is sweet. I doubt that a dealer would trade even for your Mustang.

My thoughts on selling the Mustang is you would still have to come up with some cash to get the Walther.
    I would like to own both.
    Good Luck.

Jim
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mustang is a real gun; I wouldn't think of trading it for a pimped-out gun like the Talo "Walther".

I'm a fan of German-made Walthers. But, the gun you are looking at has a lot of things going against it. First, it's not a Walther, it's a Walther-licensed copy made by Smith & Wesson. Second, the PPK/S model is a mongrellized design intended only to avoid US import restrictions. Third, it is a "special edition", not a factory variation. Fourth, any extra "value" will be lost the first time you rack the slide. Finally, the laser engraving looks tacky.

But, it's your money; buy whatever you want.

Neal
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both and have owned them for at least 15 years. I have shot the ppk/s less than the Colt. They both feel good in the hand but the Colt shoots better and feels better when shooting.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Mustang .380 and a Walther PPK/S .380; I wouldn't want to part with either of them. The Mustang represents the maximum in concealability, even under summer clothing, and I can carry it with no one ever the wiser. The slightly larger PPK/S is for when I wear winter clothing items that can cover a little better. I consider each a "back-up" for the .45ACP Combat Commander I prefer to carry, when I can wear a jacket or suit-coat. The Colt is difficult to shoot accurately with its tiny grip and short sight radius; the Walther seems surprisingly accurate by comparison. The double-action first shot of the Walther is both good and bad compared to the Mustang, seemingly safer to carry with a round in the chamber. The Mustang is choosy about ammo that it will feed with total reliability, the Walther more forgiving as to bullet shape, etc.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Walther PPK is a gun to avoid.

Stay with the Colt for all the reasons stated above. By the way, I have owned both.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the Mustang. It's a locked breech gun, lighter and a better carry
    gun. The PPKSs are to big and heavy for what they are. You can get a 9mm in that size. Besides the blush is off the rose since 007 is ancient history.