In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

clip loading problems

WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Got my clips the other day. Tried loading one in my SKS, having some problems.Here's what I've been doing:

1. Safety on.
2. Pull bolt back
3. Insert clip end in the slot of the bolt
4. Push on ammo with thumb, making sure that back of the cartridges
are lining up with back of magazine

The last part is giving me trouble.I'm having to fiddle around to get the ammo to go in the magazine. I don't think it's a rifle mechanical problem, and the clips seem fine. Is it just a technique issue? Applying more pressure? Just keep practicing and it will get easier?

Do clips need any light lubing to allow the ammo to slide in
easier?

Also, does it take practice to make sure you can easly pull out the clip after the ammo is inserted in the magazine? Seems like I have to fiddle a bit to pull mine out.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont slide the bullet into the mag. press it straight down in the middle of the brass. push the next bullet down on the lowest bullet fed, not the top most one. after you load the mag. smack the mag on the table or your hand so all bullets will align to the rear where the primers are stacked. youre sorta like rolling the bullets in, nor sliding them, follow me?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    JoshatdotJoshatdot Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a Norinco SKS mod'd for detachable Mag's. I usually load the cartridges in the Mag 1st, then load the Mag into the SKS.

http://www.DiversifiedBuySellTrade.com/
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Apply the pressure downward and rearward on the rear portion of the cartridges. Due to the curvature of the clip the cartridge rims will tend to bind in it's track if you press straight down.

Pressing too far forward on the round tilts them and will also bind the rims in the clip.

Don't use any sort of wet lube on the clips. You'll end up with it collecting junk and transferring it to your ammo and magazine.

Loading these from clips isn't difficult and will come easier with repetition, but don't expect it to ever feel silky smooth.

bobski-Seems as if the pontiff has brain f*rts, too[B)]. You gave clear and concise instruction on how to load a double-stack detachable box magazine from loose rounds. Not an SKS from clips.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oops. ive repented! down the rack i must go...
    [:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Txs
    Apply the pressure downward and rearward on the rear portion of the cartridges. Due to the curvature of the clip the cartridge rims will tend to bind in it's track if you press straight down.

Thanks TXS, that tip made all the difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Joshatdot
    We have a Norinco SKS mod'd for detachable Mag's. I usually load the cartridges in the Mag 1st, then load the Mag into the SKS.

http://www.DiversifiedBuySellTrade.com/

Yeah, but that did not answer my questions how to load a SKS with a clip.