In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Advice about Cabella guns

amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if the guns they sell, for example the black powder Piettas, are a lower or lesser grade than normal? I am just asking because they seem to have good prices for two models that I was looking for and it occurred to me that they might be a cheaper grade since they were made or sold in bulk to cabella's with possibly a cabella stamp on the barrel.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks.

The duty to preserve one's self ought never be denied.

Comments

• Options
    yachtdaveyachtdave Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that the large chain stores buy huge quantities of product and the manufactures I'm familiar with the guns are different. Made to the store specs. One I know of is some O/U shotguns that the big stores sell with 2 chokes, the gun shop guns come with 5 chokes. Things like that give them the price there looking for and an attractive retail price. So I guess to answer your question, in my opinion, they are different.
    Dave

Riverviewsales.net
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    For what the Cabelas in Nebraska charges, they'd better be the best damn firearms the manufacturer has to offer. I love Cabelas, but I doubt I'll ever buy one of their overpriced guns. Not when there are so many other avenues available.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yachtdave
    I know that the large chain stores buy huge quantities of product and the manufactures I'm familiar with the guns are different. Made to the store specs. One I know of is some O/U shotguns that the big stores sell with 2 chokes, the gun shop guns come with 5 chokes. Things like that give them the price there looking for and an attractive retail price. So I guess to answer your question, in my opinion, they are different.
    Dave

Riverviewsales.net

I was thinking that this is the case with Cabela. I am more concerned with internal parts that control timing.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    For what the Cabelas in Nebraska charges, they'd better be the best damn firearms the manufacturer has to offer. I love Cabelas, but I doubt I'll ever buy one of their overpriced guns. Not when there are so many other avenues available.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"

These two that I am looking at are an 1860 colt and a 58 remington. Cabela's is about 20 less for either from what I have seen while shopping around on the net.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With any mass produced guns, small parts cost very little to produce. It's actually cost effective for them to use identical parts in similar guns. A hand or cylinder stop might cost $.18; why would they bother changing production methods to produce one that costs only $.16? It just wouldn't make sense.

Finish, wood, accessories, & packaging are the only places where they can reasonably make adjustments that allow a lower price.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    With any mass produced guns, small parts cost very little to produce. It's actually cost effective for them to use identical parts in similar guns. A hand or cylinder stop might cost $.18; why would they bother changing production methods to produce one that costs only $.16? It just wouldn't make sense.

Finish, wood, accessories, & packaging are the only places where they can reasonably make adjustments that allow a lower price.

Neal

Hi Neal!
    ... Yeah I understand that line of thinking. I was just worried that they might actually be "trash" guns due to their price. If there were marginal parts such as the part the rotates the cylinder that were inferior and so cause a timing problem, the darned thing could blow up in my face after repetitive use.
    But actually the parts kits are not that expensive and I could replce them easily and still be a little ahead.
    Thanks folks for your input from all of you.

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know if this helps-
    I have a <sp> Pedrasolli sharps from cabellas, very nice!

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I have several Pedersoli cap & ball revolvers from Cabelas. I have had to replace several broken parts, mostly springs, but it is easy to do, and not very expensive either. It seems like once I replace the springs with ones from Dixie gunworks, there is no more problems. At least, I haven't broken a Dixie spring yet. My advice would be to buy it if it is what you want. The overall quality is good, and the few internal problems are easily fixed, and much more economical than some of the others. Dan

Just call me "Griffin"

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all.
    I think I'll go with it. I'm up for replacing parts and detail stripping.
    Scott