In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

krupp side by side 16 ga. rifle barrel beneath

big hawkbig hawk Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a krupp side by side 16 ga. with hammers. It has a rifle barrel underneath. There is a lever you flip to fire the rifle. I have been told the rifle is probably a 44-40. I would like to know as much info about the gun as possible and the value of the gun. The gun is in good condition with the exception of the lettering is worn to the point I am unable to read much except Krupp and 16 ga.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you have is referred to as a "Drilling", and they were very popular in the first half of the 20th century over in Europe (mainly Germany). Many were brought home to the U.S. as war trophies both during and immediately following both WW I and WW II.

Now, and with all of that stated, I very much doubt that the rifled barrel is chambered for the 44-40 cartridge. The Krupp barrels were made in Germany.

Drillings typically do not have much collector interest here in the U.S., and one that has considerable wear is even less appealing.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big hawk,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

In all honesty, it's nearly impossible to even guess at a value or tell you any more about this firearm. We need good, sharp photographs of the overall, both sides, top and bottom along with as many good sharp details as possible.

Take the fore end off and take pictures of the writing found there. Then remove the barrels and photograph the bottom of chamber area and the water table. You can cast the rifle chamber to get the measurements, then compare those to cartridge drawings. Without these details it's pretty much impossible to tell you anything about the firearm.

Best.