In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another DCM M1 Garand ???

taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I do not know very much about M1 Garands. I do have a Springfield that has a serial number 5,431,075.

I have checked the Internet and have found that Springfield Armory assigned numbers were 5,278,246 to 5,488,246 for 1954 - 1955. The barrel on my M1 is stamped SA and 11-64.

This is a rifle that I qualified to purchase through the old DCM in 1986 by competing in a registered rifle match. It was shipped to me directly from Annuston Army Depot in Alabama in 1986. The paper work states "COND B".

What I am wondering is the barrel stamped 11-64. It seems, judging from the serial number, that there is 9 years difference between date of mfg. and the date on the barrel. We were not at war at this time, so how would it be possible to wear out a barrel in 9 years?

The stock is a little lighter than the top wood and the only marking on it is a "P" stamped on the front side of the pistol grip. I would assume that the stock was replaced before it was shipped. The rifle is in "like new" condition. The parkerized finish looks brand new.

Can anyone educate me about this rifle?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Your rifle could have been used in Basic training company . I had a almost new M14 in basic fall of 1964 and when we went for night firing They only let the last squad carry a weapon My name starting with a W was one of the lucky ones[:(!]. I had 14 people fire 200 rounds each as fast as they wanted to before it was my turn . Wood was dripping hot oil stock finish and when I went to clean it the bore was almost smooth cleaning rod with wet patch fell through under it's own weight. IMHO it had the barrel ruined in one night. [V][:(]
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rife is a rebuild and a new barrel was installed, there are a lot of people that will sware that the barrel you have is one of the best shooting of all made for the rifle.

Emmett
  • Options
    taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be getting too old!
    I just remembered a conversation I had with the Army ROTC Master Sargent while I was in college (around 1959-60).

During summer break, he was assigned to run the rifle range at Fort Leonardwood in Missouri. He told me that he was given orders that went something like this: " Load up the "Duce and a half" with ammo, take the men out to the range and don't come back until they have shot it all up"

I guess that's how you wear out a barrel in 9 years.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there was a cold war on during that period; following the Korean War, we had several hundred thousand troops in South Korea who patrolled the border with North Korea & engaged in occasional firefights.

In addition, US military armories had a major rebuild program in the early-mid '60's, & many serviceable rifles were rebuilt, just to keep the workers busy. Rifles such as yours, even though parts are mixed, are semi-collectible because of the high quality of the barrels of that era & the tight armory standards.

Neal
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    when I went through basic (8 weeks), I fired about 500 rds with my m-14 so 500rd times 6 cycles per year times 9 years=27,000 rds in nine years. more than enought to wear out a barrel.