In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marine with a question

jasonc14jasonc14 Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
hey everyone im in the USMC and my unit is deploying to Afghanistan in a few months. i am looking for some upgrades to attach to my A4 and im asking you all for your professional opinion and potential suggestions or alternatives, here are my ideas.

im not a big fan of the a cog so i was thinking of replacing it with a Nikon 4-16x or 2.5-10x Tactical Scope with an illuminated mil dot reticle. 4-16x might be too much power for the 5.56 but the beauty of the adjustable magnification is i wont be using 16x for anything other then scouting while on the gun or post.

a grip pod fore grip/bipod that they will probobly issue me anyway or i can get from the armory through a friend.

an elevated cheek pad of some sort. i havent quite figured out exactly which one to get so suggestions would be appreciated!

and finally i was toying with the idea of a palm rest but i doubt ill be allowed to replace the pistol grip so if anyone can offer an alternative id appreciate that as well.

just let me know your opinions or suggestions. thank you all in advance

semper fidelis

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gizmos.
    just kill the enemy.
    dont depend on crap.
    use what your armoror gives you.
    the chief has spoken.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    gizmos.
    just kill the enemy.
    dont depend on crap.
    use what your armoror gives you.
    the chief has spoken.

i dont know how familiar you are with Marines and their equipment. we usually end up with the spoiled rotten Army's leftover crap.

i do love my A4 but i hate the a cog, im just not comfortable shooting with it, id rather use my iron sights its what i use to shoot expert, but then id lose the magnification advantage.

id much rather improve my weapon to suit my needs in that environment. that added magnification will also better help me spot IED's, snipers, and potential ambushes. if spending $900 on a scope saves someones life or even just a limb, it was money well spent.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    First time over "there"?

Best you get in country, see for yourself just what works/doesn't work (you'll be surprised how different an opinion you may have after a few trips "outside the wire").

What I mean is, get with those who are back home from the sandbox for advice, or wait, get over there and see for yourself. You can manage to get online over there, and post what is really needed, and have it sent.

Does any of this make sense?
    Good luck, and keep below the skyline as much as possible. Best, Joe
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been over twice with the infantry. don't waste money on that crap. stick with the acog and some back up irons. buy a good sling and an otis kit. write miltec and they'll send you and your joes some free lube.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Buddy, pay attention to those who have been there.

They will NOT steer you wrong.

And, gimmicks will not save your life.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your Service to our Country.

Doug
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forgot to add, if you want to drop cash on gear take care of your feet. I don't know what your regs are but get the best socks you can.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    First time over "there"?

Best you get in country, see for yourself just what works/doesn't work (you'll be surprised how different an opinion you may have after a few trips "outside the wire").

What I mean is, get with those who are back home from the sandbox for advice, or wait, get over there and see for yourself. You can manage to get online over there, and post what is really needed, and have it sent.

Does any of this make sense?
    Good luck, and keep below the skyline as much as possible. Best, Joe

i understand fully what you are saying and i appreciate the advice. i have already asked and constantly pick the brains of the people i meet who have already been over there. Iraq and Afghanistan are 2 different beasts. i wouldn't have bothered with buying gear if i went to iraq because i wouldn't have needed it. my billet is driver for a security plt so the odds of even switching my weapon from safe to fire in Iraq would have probably been slim to none. i was also told the last tour in Iraq members of my plt said they werent even allowed to put their iron sights on their weapons. its too restricted and politicized.

however in Afghanistan, all the rules change. just because my billet is driver, it doesnt mean thats all ill be doing. the likely hood for complex attacks is greatly increased so that means if we get hit we might have to stay and fight depending on what kind of shape the casualties and vic(s) are. the Afghan insurgence are better trained and the Taliban has had time to reestablish themselves. during fixed sight security, the advantage of the increased visibility with the 4-16x will allow us to have eyes on potential suspicious activity further then an a cog will allow. theres also no guarantee our plt will get a designated marksman rifle or leftover army bino's.

Afghanistan presents different challenges. based on the research I've done and my dislike of my a cog, these are the choices i made for myself.

if the new gear doesnt work out then i can simply take it off and reinstal the a cog. i will have it with me.

i appreciate all the advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Be safe, Jason, and try to stay in touch with us.

You will be in my prayers.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i appreciate it Doug.

dont forget to send a prayer or 2 for my brothers.

i also neglected to mention i own many firearms and after my tour i could just put the gear on one of my rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm used to praying for Military Men. Four Military/former Military Sons, From Panama and Grenada and Desert Storm through the current unpleasantness, in both theaters. Combat types - 2 Bronze Stars and lots of other stuff.

Keep yourself tuned-up.

Doug