In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Steaming the stock of an M1

pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
What is the best process for steaming the stock of my M1?

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    There are a number of theories and all have their fans and detractors. If the stock is not a valuable collector stock then lots of guys just run them through the dishwasher (remove the metal)! I've done this before and the results have been pretty impressive as half a century of grunge disappears in 30 minutes and many of the dents and dings are raised and are now easy to sand away. More localized areas can be handled by using a wet wash cloth and a steam iron and very specific spots see good results from a wet cloth and an electric soldering iron. I've tried all three and all of them work to a certain degree.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark!

This is the RR you helped me identify earlier this month.
    I believe we determined that it was not collector material and I just want to jazz up the stock a bit.

I think I will try the dishwasher first.

PS BTW cool red stars!
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WARNING!!!

Be ABSOLUTELY certain Shewhomustbeobeyed will not be home when you do this.

This also applies to casting bullets on the kitchen stove or useing the bathtub to run hot water down the barrel of black powder guns.

I'm not marreid so that issue never crossed my mind, but it sounds like good advice!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    WARNING!!!

Be ABSOLUTELY certain Shewhomustbeobeyed will not be home when you do this.

This also applies to casting bullets on the kitchen stove or useing the bathtub to run hot water down the barrel of black powder guns.

Will do! First thing I thought about!

HE HE HE HE HE[}:)]
    edited November -1
    Funny! that's the first thing I thought about!