In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rust stains

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello all need some suggestions on how to get rust stains out of a stock. redoing a a5 that is very rough. wondering if clr might work? sure someone knows. Thanks Kevin

Comments

• WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sanding is the only way I know.
    An electrolytic rust remover would work but means immersing the stock in water a few hours.

WG
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find that oxalic acid works very well for removing stains and can be found in any paint store
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most hardware stores you can find a product called "NEVR-DULL". It comes in a blue can and sells for about five bucks. It is made of cotton-wadding with petroleum chemicals. It says on the can that it's a "Magic Wadding Polish" I have used it for YEARS on guns and gun stocks. It will easily remove light surface rust from guns WITHOUT disturbing the finish...once wiped off with a clean cloth it may leave a polished look but it will not remove any of the bluing. On stocks it will remove dirt, grime and "some" rust. It does say on can to avoid lacquered surfaces...It's been my experience however that this product will only enhance most situations and not hurt them.