In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Contender 300 Whisper twist?

WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
What is the factory TC twist?

WG

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WarGames,

It's supposed to be 1:8" if I recall correctly. This is to stabilize the very heaviest 240 gr. Sierra Match Kings for subsonic velocities and the ability to suppress the sound.

Best.

ADDED:

I went back to check this against my notes and the older factory barrels do indeed have a 1:10" twist rate. But to handle all of the heaviest bullets, the 1:8" is required.

Best.
  • cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 in 10 inch unless they changed it later Dave this is from sierra 50th anniversary ed midway has barrels for 300 whisper 1 in 10 twist Dave
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can find is 1/10.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

Looks like a custom barrel is needed for the correct twist.

CP
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    The big complaint with the TC and 300 Whisper is the lack of a 1:8 twist barrel.

Like the others have said if you are wanting to shoot the 200gr + bullets you will need the 1:8. There are people that do load supersonic light bullets in their .300 Whisper but it makes no sense to me since it takes the Whisper out of it.

While the 240gr SMK's are a great bullet I am shooting the Hornady 220gr RN since they are just under 1/2 the price and I still get MOA accuracy out of them.

I know in AR barrels there are a few companies make 1:8 twist barrels. I had a custom barrel built for mine because I got exactly what I wanted.