In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine Questions!!!

bigrpowrbigrpowr Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
2 questions!!

I saw a guy on a forum i frequent selling an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine. He thinks its a GI issue... He said it has no markings on it other than the serial #. I have searched for a day or so with no luck, as it seems there just isnt a lot of info regarding these guns. He is asking $550 and the serial # is AA454xx . Is this price good, and what was this gun used for and any idea of build date and value?? My grandfather has collected M1's for a long time, and he just recently passed and i would love to own one myself. Any help is much appreciated!!

Comments

• Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iver Johnson I believe used GI parts on their rifles, if it has some unusual parts with good value it could be well worth the money he is asking. I would check out the CMP first to see what you can buy with your money through them.

Bill

The receiver was Iver Johnson and they used GI parts to build the carbines, they even used GI barrels. Lots of the post war clones used some sort of surplus GI parts on them.

Emmett
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The IJ was never military issue. Most IJs are built to military specs.
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sister is selling a inland witch was made in 44 for 500 no reserve on the GB auction side.It is all origninal GI parts but it is import marked.Email me for more info.

I'm pretty sure the IJ was made to mil. specs. but are not made from mil. parts.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    Iver Johnson I believe used GI parts on their rifles, if it has some unusual parts with good value it could be well worth the money he is asking. I would check out the CMP first to see what you can buy with your money through them.

Emmett
    What is the "CMP"?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can find just about all you need to know by clicking on the Search button at the top of this forum page, & entering "Iver Johnson". Especially useful will be:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=390066&SearchTerms=iver,johnson

I doubt that $550 is a good price for an IJ, but, without any description & without seeing photos, I'd just be guessing.

If I knew nothing about carbines, I'd buy a USGI carbine from the US Government; see www.odcmp.com .

Neal
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pwillie, the CMP is Civilian Marksmanship Program, run by the military to get fierarms to civilian shooters.
    The web site is www.odcmp.com
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    pwillie, the CMP is Civilian Marksmanship Program, run by the military to get fierarms to civilian shooters.
    The web site is www.odcmp.com
    Thanks, I have heard from them before,just didn't make the equasion,Willie
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dump the Iver, Harry !!
    We had one in the late '70's, & it was the worst kind of joke anybody could imagine: parts flying off, constant jamming/stovepiping, parts breakages, split case necks, etc. Was inaccurate as all hell to boot -the damm thing turned-in patterns, not groups.

Seriously, RUN from this turd (unless it happens to be fitted w/ some rare USGI parts) .......