In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt .38 Super

bobg1959bobg1959 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Curious about a gun I inherited from my grandfather, who purchased this gun new sometime in the mid to late 1940's (as I am told). I know it would be easier to estimate value with a picture but I don't have one at the moment. If I get interested in pursuing this further I would certainly take some photos and post. Right now just looking for general information and a general idea of value. What I have:

Colt Super .38 Automatic
Serial Number 44537
Also stamped on the gun is "Colt's PT.F.A. Mfg.Co"
"Hartford, CT USA"

The gun appears to be in used but pretty good overall condition. Looks to have original finish and grips.

Year manufactured? General range of value? Is this a desirable item for collectors?

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.

Comments

• bobg1959bobg1959 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need to find out the value of my Col .38 Super. It has a six digit Serial Number 197XXX, excellent condition, still in its original Colt box with instruction booklet.
  • bobg1959bobg1959 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any info on this thing? It is a suspected re-blue. If I can verify that I am going to send it off to have it reblued in colt royal blue.
    Serial number is 190xxx. Value with/without reblue? I suspect the grips are not original to the gun either. TIA
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in 1947 according to Proofhouse.com

No way to guess a value without seeing the gun, original finish and grips is good, but "used but pretty good condition" can cover a lot of sins.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pistol and with some collector interest if in Great Condition with it's original box and paperwork. but like Hawk stated your description is not what we need for value think of it as a used car or house we need pictures.
  • ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All original with at least 90% original finish, no rust and excellent bore,...$1500+