In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR Springs

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey guy's does anyone know where I might be able to pickup a few little springs/parts? All I need are the, AR-15 Buffer Detent Spring which holds the buffer spring in and the AR-15 Buffer Detent itself. and lastly one of the AR-15 Detent Springs. I found them all online for a whopping total of $2.00 but they want 12 bucks to ship them to me.. seems a bit ridicilious to me to pay 6x the cost of the actual item just to ship it, when you could throw them in an envelope and stick a 42 cent stamp and call it good..

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Brownells has what they call a small package rate, not sure what it is though.

Or next time you make a parts order for other stuff throw some stuff like this in.
  • DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmm they're a bit cheaper but I cant seem to find the buffer detent, but I found the other springs.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet & pay whatever it costs.

If the guy can't earn a living, he won't be there to provide us with parts we need the next time. I buy padded envelopes in bulk, & they still cost me > $.60 each. Shipping charges keep going up. And, if the guy ships any quantity, he has to pay his employees a salary.

The days of "free shipping" are pretty much gone.

Neal
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    These are the kinds of items that I find are best purchased at gun shows where I just load up on the small springs and pins that always get lost or bent. In the case of the detent springs you need to buy three because one will end up being bent, one will pop out and be eaten by the carpeting, leaving the final spring to actually make it into the rifle.
  • DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know to my amazement the first set of springs actually made it in A-OK without any of them getting lost. It wasn't until a little maintenance had to be done before a couple of them decided to go awol on me.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownnells

Detent springs are $1.86 each, Parts # is 430-000-485EE
    the Detents are $2.86 each the Parts # is430-000-484EE
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice:if you need one-buy three. Shipping will be the same and considering that the other two are free compared to buying one now and another later. I have got shorted a couple of times on spring and parts kits. I'm sure it was unintentional and the sellers made it right but one guy was a little snotty about it. I've lost my share of buffer detent springs plus a couple of push pin detents and buggered a couple of those small diameter long springs. I now have a box of small parts which handles most of those oops.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PK firearms in Shelbyville Illinois will give you some good shipping prices if you pick the USPS options. I have bought some small stuff from them because of their cheaper shipping. Midway also will give you a decent shipping price if you get over their 25 dollar shipping and handling limit.