In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bipods

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i just saw a bipod that mounts rigidly to the barrell of the gun. how does this affect accuracy. i was under the impression that a rigid mount to the bbl, would throw off the harmonics of the bbl, and decrease accuracy....

am i off base with that thought?

kyle

Comments

• B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i want to get a bipod for my 30-06 and i like the harris bipods....are there any compairable bipods that aren't as expensive?

bandit

If you never try you will always fail.
    edited November -1
    What is a good pivoting bipod that wont break the bank?
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a Bipod to place on my BAR .270 for range shooting. All I have seen are B-square, Harris and Versa-pod found in Cabelas and Bass Pro. Are there any other choices that I should consider that my be less expensive, but still tilt and swivel? All help Is appreciated.

socarl.txtTigerpaw.txt
  • beasterbeaster Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a big Oryx hunt coming up in January and have been looking for some also. I just put Harris Bipods on my 300 Wetherby. THEY ARE GREAT! Also got a pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks (they suck) way to flimsy. I ended up making my own shooting sticks out of _ round oak molding very stable and they make a good walking stick. Barry
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Harris HB25 CS that extends from 13 1/2" to 27".

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB25CS.html

Another alternative is the Caldwell XLA 13" to 23" Pivot Model Bipod

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=675256

The Harris is a lot stronger and will provide you better support and stability.

Good luck!

Ed
    edited November -1
    Will they scratch the finish of a wood stock?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B_Mc

The Harris bipods have strips of a protective foam at the points of contact to help prevent marring. You can go a step further and add a little bit of Mylar tape at the points of contact on your stock to give you a little more protection.

"What is a good pivoting bipod that wont break the bank?"

I use the Harris bipods since they work and are relatively affordable, especially when compared to some of the specialty tactical or long range bipods. There are better bipods out there but you have to get over 'sticker shock' before you decide to own one...

Best.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:that wont break the bank?

exactly what do you mean by that ?

XDS%20Bipod.jpg

Extreme Duty Bipod
    Fully Adjustable Including A Full 25 Degrees Of Swivel Cant And Tool-Less Installation
    Selected By The US Army Soldiers
    Weapons Program
    NSN: 1005-01-563-0152

this one can be had for $160.00 they are great bi-pods, i have several, use them mostly for bench rest target shooting and occasional simulated "sniper" scenarios.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harris...the original, and the the best for the most average shooting conditions. They are the most affordable too, except for one Chineese company that makes a cheap knock off, that sucks.

USN_Airdale,

Most people that are worried if a bipod is going to scratch their stock's beautiful wood, would not take kindly to having to screw on a Picatinny 1913 Tactical rail to that AAA walnut either. The bipod you show needs a rail to mount too. All rifles are not black and tactical.

Best
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the harris (S) models, I have several in three configurations and they are all great.. I'd recomend the 1A2 for hard use. The best two for all around use is the 9"-13" and 13"-27" models In my opinion.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an FYI.... if this is your first bipod watch out when you collapse it or you might invent some new swear words. [:D]

Todd
  • rcoanercoane Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A HARRIS AND IT IS VERY NICE BUT IT LIMITS YOUR SHOOTING POSSITIONS. I ALSO USE A TELESCOPING MONO STICK THAT I BOUGHT AT WALMART FOR $10. I KILLED MY BUCK THIS YEAR WITH IT. 225YRD STANDING. BYPODS ARENT MUCH HELP ON STREEP SIDE HILLS OR IN BRUSH.