In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

browning hi power front sight

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i was shooting my hi power .40 yesterday and the front sight just broke off. i didn't drop the gun or anything like that, it just broke and flung off when the slide cycled. has anyone else ever had this problem? i have a 1 yr warranty thru gander mountain, what should i make them do about it?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they will have a new front sight put on, with no cost to you quickly, go that route. You might consider taking it to a competent gunsmith to have the front of the slide dovetailed for a aftermarket front sight. A dovetailed sight is much stronger and durable on a .40 then a front sight that is swaged or soldered on.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks rufe. i definitely thought about having a fiber optic dovetailed in to make it easier on my eyes at an indoor range. however, being under warranty and having limited budget, i want to go the free/cheap route. i'm thinking i want them to send it back to browning and possibly have the dovetailing done by the factory (if i can afford it)and have them put the fiber optic front on for me. does this sound like an acceptable solution? i've never sent a gun back to factory before and i don't know what i can expect/ask for.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    thanks rufe. i definitely thought about having a fiber optic dovetailed in to make it easier on my eyes at an indoor range. however, being under warranty and having limited budget, i want to go the free/cheap route. i'm thinking i want them to send it back to browning and possibly have the dovetailing done by the factory (if i can afford it)and have them put the fiber optic front on for me. does this sound like an acceptable solution? i've never sent a gun back to factory before and i don't know what i can expect/ask for.

If they won't replace the front sight back to it's original configuration, in a reasonable amount of time, at no cost to you. I would take it to a gunsmith to dovetail the slide. Make sure he is competent and knowledgeable machinist, with a milling machine. As it's a real small dovetail that can't be cut to deep. If he doesn't know what he doing or uses the wrong cutter, it would be all full easy to screw up the slide.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    YES have the slide dovetailed as the front site when replaced has to be silver soldered in because the barrel bushing is in the way and it cannot be staked in. If silver soldered in it will have to be reblued
  • dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Is this your Hi Power?http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2408

If so, it's already dovetailed. All you need is a replacement front sight and someone skilled enough to push it in.

I doubt Browning will mill it out to fit a non standard FS.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    i was shooting my hi power .40 yesterday and the front sight just broke off. i didn't drop the gun or anything like that, it just broke and flung off when the slide cycled. has anyone else ever had this problem? i have a 1 yr warranty thru gander mountain, what should i make them do about it?

I was shooting a Browning Hi Power Practical, .40, that I intended to buy shortly after. It was doing great until we saw something fly across the range, it was the front sight. I didn't end up making the purchase.[B)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two HP'S and both have dovetailed front sights. On my Practical model I installed my own fiber optic sight.
    Yours should have a dovtailed front sight in it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dogtown tom

Is this your Hi Power?http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2408

If so, it's already dovetailed. All you need is a replacement front sight and someone skilled enough to push it in.

I doubt Browning will mill it out to fit a non standard FS.

yes that's the one i have, i also thought the front sight was already dovetailed because it looked that way but upon a closer look, it just looks dovetailed but really isn't. i just purchased it 2 days before this happened. i'm seriously considering making them give me a full refund. if i modify or have it reblued after silver solder, it's going to affect the value.
    edited November -1
    dogtown and dcs, you guys were right. the front sight IS already dovetailed. and they are ordering a new sight and installing it at no charge. thanks for the help guys.