In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington "Wonder Lube" ???

taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone had any experience or any comments about Remington "Wonder Lube" with Teflon?

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried it, though I'm sure it works fine.

If you're intrigued by the teflon, for what its worth, "Break Free CLP" also contains teflon (or at least used to).

Part of the idea behind teflon in these lubricants is that microscopic particles of it are supposed to embed themselves in superficial cracks/pores/defects at the surface of the metal, leading to some residual lubricity even if/when the carrying oil is gone.

Use of teflon in the BORE of guns is a bit controversial (since heating/burning teflon gives off noxious compounds), but I think in the miniscule quantities present in the gun oil, you'd never see a problem in the real world.

Lots of people have been using CLP on their bores for many many years, and I've never heard of a problem from it.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a bunch of it in 12oz spray cans and found it to be much better than WD40 at least for lubing. I'd like to get more as cheap as I got the first batch(about$.85/can)
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to purchase about 60 cans (without the teflon) a couple of years ago...I wouldn't trade it for anything else for lubing a firearm... I was told it would no longer be available....If it's stuck or rusted, I use "AERO KROIL"...
    JIM..........
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I bought a bunch of it in 12oz spray cans and found it to be much better than WD40 at least for lubing. I'd like to get more as cheap as I got the first batch(about$.85/can)

I'd buy that for a dollar [;)]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daoV-LsINiA

One would hope that a product especially designed to lubricate firearms would work better than WD-40. WD-40 was specifically designed for Water Displacement, something it does extremely well. In other words, WD-40 is meant mainly to PREVENT RUST.

While WD40 can be used as a lubricant, its was never really designed for that purpose, and it really isn't a great choice as it tends to get "gummy", both attracting dirt and losing its lubricity.

Personally, I won't use WD40 on guns. . .period. . .though I would do so, if I didn't have access to anything better. In practice, since you can pick up a nice bottle of CLP or Remington gun oil at just about any Walmart or sporting goods store for only a couple of bucks, there is no need to use WD40.

Also, if you are looking for cheap "substitute" gun lubes, supposedly high-viscosity synthetic motor oil works extremely well.

Given that the stuff was designed specifically to lubricate metal-on-metal at extremely high speeds and temperatures (eg say 7000rpm in the engines of racecars) it ought to work for the relatively non demanding application of lubing firearms!