In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 RCM handloading question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am wondering what the concensus would be of down-loading the 300 RCM to say, that of a 308 Winchester for target shooting, or possibly light skinned deer hunting. My thinking is that if I coould down-load the round, then I would also have the capability of loading the round up to what it is capable of for heavier game such as Elk or Moose. Please don't suggest that I just buy a 308, that's not what I want to do. Thanks for the help

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, why not. Just stay away from the slow burning powders (ie, IMR4831 & slower) as they have been known to create "pressure excursions" (read: BLOW-UP) in reduced loads. If I were doing it, I'd probably go with around 50 gr. of H4895, IMR4895, IMR4064, or Varget and either a 150 gr. or 165 gr. bullet. That would probably get you about 2700 fps or so. I think that's about what you're after.
  • HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Hadji---I generaly agree with Ambrose, with a significant caveat!!!!! That being that I WOULD NOT go below any listed powder charge in the specific manual you are using. The high and low charges are there for a reason. HAWKSHAW
  • WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a 300 RCM?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WarGames,

.300 Ruger Compact Magnum.

hadjii,

I'm not sure why you want to pursue this tact but it is possible to use 155 gr. Lapua Scenar bullets over either IMR-3031 or V V N-150 to lower the velocity and still maintain good efficiency and accuracy.

Best.

ADDED:

Excellent!

Thanks for explaining.

Best.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense I have a young man here who belongs to a good friend of mine that I grew up hunting with. He is a wirey 15 year old, and a little light in the butt if ya know what I mean. He has shot ducks and geese since he was about 8, so I think he could probably handle the gun fine, but I thought it would be best to get him started with some light loads before I let him handle the full power factory or handloads.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have an RCM or a SAUM but I just got a new rifle in .325 WSM which should get similiar results as your .300 RCM. I don't usually experiment with reduced loads in large cases like these since I have several rifles in .308, but your question has peaked my curiosity. I have not started loading for this rifle yet, as I am still accumulating the stuff needed to reload a new cartridge. I think I'll take the advice I gave you and start with 50 gr. of one of the medium burning powders and some 150 gr. bullets I have on hand. The negative results I will be looking for are poor obturation and/or wide extreme spread in velocity.

Unfortunately, since my range is in wet, soggy condition, I may not be able to get back to you with results in time for any information to do you any good.

Incidently FWIW: Free recoil, assuming a 9 lb. rifle/scope computes as: 150 gr. bullet @ 2700 fps w/50 gr. of powder=14.4 ft/lbs. Top loads with 180 & 200 gr. bullets are 23.4 & 23.5 ft/lbs. respectively.