In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chatham Arms Co

klw67klw67 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I need to find some info on a Chatham Arms side by side, I can't find any numbers on this gun. But in between the 2 barrels on top it says Twelve Belgium. Just found numbers under left barrel 197. This gun has exposed hammers and 2 triggers and is in rough shape ( Surface rust). Where can I find info on this gun? Thanks, Kevin

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably Utility Grade Belgian shotgun, most likely with Damascus barrels. They were imported in great numbers from the 1890's until the German invasion of Belgium in 1914. Sears and other large importers/distributors sold them inexpensively between $10 & $20. Little interest/value to collectors, other then as a decorator/wall hanger. Unsafe to shoot with modern ammo.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    The only information I can find in two references for the name Chatham Arms Co is that the gun is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun made by the Crescent Fire Arms Co of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1932) and it was made for and sold by the H & D Folsome Company of New York City a large wholesale and retail sporting goods dealer who also owned Crescent. It is possible that Folsome imported the gun from Belgium although there is no mention of that. Look at the bottom of the barrels under the forearm for any proof marks. If there are the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that hen the gun was made in Belgium
  • klw67klw67 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the answers gentlemen, this gun is in rough shape and belongs to a friend.