In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Name the Wood Please

ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone Please tell me what kind of wood this is? What ever it is, it's sure NICE Thank You [^]

standard.jpg

Comments

• woodoctorwoodoctor Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to tell without a closer look; but I would guess Maple or birch that has been stained dark before finishing.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be light colored walnut. I see more and more of that. There really isn't a way to tell unless the stock gets stripped/sanded down to bare wood. Or possibly if you took the barreled action out of the stock there may be some unstained/un-oiled wood underneath the barrel or the action.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolute wild guess here- do an image search for claro walnut blanks and circassian walnut blanks. Grain to drool over. Circassian may be called Turkish walnut by some.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just told by a friend that a lot of Husqvarna rifles (which this is) were stocked with Artic Beech? anyone ever hear of this wood? Thank You [?]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • SwampwoodSwampwood Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a Brazilian tiger wood[?]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF,

There is a possibility that this is what can be referred to as Artic Birch or Russian Birch.

The Scandinavians and Russians used this wood on bolt actions as well as SKS rifles. Many of these stocks underwent a process of 'fire hardening' or kiln drying at high temperatures. This not only drove out the moisture but 'caramelized' the sap (darkened/richened) which changed the over all colors and added the darker areas that you see in your photograph. It can be construed as looking similar to fiddle back or some Claro grain structures but it is a function of the heat and its affect on the sap.

Best.
  • gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is my Remington 721 in 300 H&H mag, looks pretty close. Mine is walnut, very hard walnut, harder and denser than any walnut stocks or lumber I have worked with before, but it did not look like this until I took all the varnish and stain off and coated it with several coats of tru oil.

summer09001.jpg

summer09002.jpg
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF
    Can anyone Please tell me what kind of wood this is? What ever it is, it's sure NICE Thank You [^]

standard.jpg

Very hard to say with just that image, and even with multiple images, its still not going to be easy.

From here, it could just be nice walnut.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without better or closer pictures to indicate otherwise, I think it may be Birch with simulated tiger striping done with stain.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Finns stocked M39 Mosins with some Artic birch that makes that look relatively mild as far as the tiger striping.
    But Artic birch is too soft to take checkering like that, my bet is Circassian walnut.