In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black powder loads, 25-20 Single shot

Pathfinder1758Pathfinder1758 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a Stevens favorite that apparently has been re-chambered for 25-20 ss. How should I load Black powder rounds?

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19-grains of FFFg was used in the original factory loads.

A fair number of Stevens single-shot rifles were factory chambered for the 25-20 S.S. cartridge. Winchester made a substantial number of Model 1885s in 25-20 S.S. as well, and they can be loaded with smokeless powder or black powder.
  • Pathfinder1758Pathfinder1758 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert

sorry for my ignorance..........would that be by volume or weight?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pathfinder1758
    Bert

sorry for my ignorance..........would that be by volume or weight?

By volume.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's by weight where one pound equals 7,000 grains.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sharps Rifle Company said, ca 1878, "For fine shooting, it is recommended that powder be weighed out on a scale."

The key - or at least one key - to successful black powder cartridge rifle (BPCR) loading is that the powder charge be compressed, from a little to quite a lot. The GOEX rep says that a good starting powder charge is a case full when dumped in loose. Weigh that and stick with it. A long drop tube will settle it in the case, and a compression die takes it down to where the base of the bullet will rest without mashing the soft lead out of shape.

A lot of good information at
    http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introduction to BPCR Loading.pdf
    although it is directed towards the larger calibers now used for "buffalo rifle" type shooting. Still a place to start, though.

The .25-20 Single Shot can be loaded with smokeless, but that old Favorite is not very strong and great care should be taken. Discussion at:
    http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=366&forum_id=8&highlight=.25-20+single+shot
    but note that several of the posts are by target shooters who breech seat the bullet, which changes the rules considerably.
  • Pathfinder1758Pathfinder1758 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert

Thanks! I thought it was by volume......thus .25 cal/20 gr.black powder!
    Now I just have to find a 19 gr by volume measure.....[;)]
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pathfinder1758
    I recently purchased a Stevens favorite that apparently has been re-chambered for 25-20 ss. How should I load Black powder rounds?

A couple of cautionary notes. The vast majority of Favorites were made in RF calibers, so converting one to CF would require alteration to the breech block/firing pin. Make sure the work was properly done.

I also believe most Favorites have a slip-in barrel vs. screwed in. Whether this would affect the strength/ability to handle higher pressure I do not know.

And finally, and most important, make sure it wasn't rechambered for the 25-20 Winchester as the 25-20 SS and 25-20 W are not interchangeable.

John
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Favorite was designed for the .22 RF. It was never offered in the .25-20 SS from the factory. The linkage to the breachblock is the weak point and may loosen up with the .25-20. I would only use black powder and keep it down around 15 grains by weight and use the lightest bullets you can find to keep pressures down. This may be the same gun for sale a while back. As I recall it was not on GB.
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    The Favorite was designed for the .22 RF. It was never offered in the .25-20 SS from the factory. The linkage to the breachblock is the weak point and may loosen up with the .25-20. I would only use black powder and keep it down around 15 grains by weight and use the lightest bullets you can find to keep pressures down. This may be the same gun for sale a while back. As I recall it was not on GB.

The Ladies Model (Number 55 and or 56) was built on a small frame, though I'm not sure if it was the Favorite frame, and was available in 25-20. I believe it's even called the Ladies Model Favorite.

Either way a red flag went up for me when I saw that a Favorite had been converted to 25-20.

John
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Favorite was made in 22,25 & 32 RIMFIRE only.
    Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 Walnut Hill were stronger actions.
    I would only load your centerfire to the power equivalent of the largest rimfire cartridge the rifle was made for.
    A 25-20 Single Shot loaded to full power may be too much for that action.
    Someone converted it from rimfire to centerfire.
    edited November -1
    Listen closely to the other fellows concerning the safety issue with a converted Stevens Favorite rifle. I personally have no experience with them, and hence no idea of their strength (or lack thereof). All of my experience shooting the 25-20 S.S. cartidge is with the Winchester Model 1885 (a considerably stronger action and rifle).