In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

264 win mag

redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Will a one in nine twist in a 264 win mag stabilize a burger 130 gr. VLD? Thanks.

Comments

• redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine is looking fot a 264 win mag and so far he has found three but has a hard time choosing which one. There are 2 really nice winchester model 70's one is a classic super grade and the other it a featherlight. The third one is a remington model 700 bdl. If it were me I would get the classic super grade. Any input?
    edited November -1
    I was lining in my 264 yesterday and I put one of my old spanish notebooks behind the cardboard bow I was shooting at. I shot through the notebook which was about 2 1/2 inches thick and the bullet opened up about 1.5 time the original diameter. I am using a Hornady 100 gr SP in front of 56.4 gr of IMR 4320 , and Federal 215 Magnum Match rifle primers that chronograph 3561 fps. I intended to use these bullets for deer, but didn't count on the bullet opening up that much. My main concern is the bullet hitting a deer and just blowing up without much penetration. I still want the ballistics of the 100 gr but I want pass through shots. Has anyone tried the 100 gr Nosler partitions? What are the results?
    edited November -1
    thr caliber 264 win mag how good are they when comes to elk, muledeer and bigger game, not whitetail deer?
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An excellent caliber up to deer size game. It will not be my first choice for elk though!
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one of the pre-64 long barreled Winchester 70's and I do like it. It's most accurate load is with the 120 gr. ballistic tip bullet @ 3320 fps and the most I can get from 140 gr. bullets is around 3150 fps.

To be honest, it's about the same as a .270 only a pound heavier and the barrel is 2" longer.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a great cartridge for long range hunting of big game animals. The only exception, for me personally, is big bear in AK. I have a friend in NV who did kill one with a .264 though.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .264 Winchester Magnum is an excellent cartridge for muledeer and other big game including elk. For the larger game, it is crucial that you use a premium bullet designed for controlled expansion.

With the .264, it is important that the rifle has a long enough barrel to utilize the powder in the large case, and that usually means at least 24 inches, or even 25 or 26 inches.

Some of the early Winchester rifles had only 22 inch barrels when the .264 was first introduced, and because of this, the cartridge earned a reputation for prodigious muzzle blast and not much more velocity than a .270 Winchester. But with adequate barrel length, good bullet selection, and familiarity with this cartridge's ballistics, it should be an excellent performer.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Steve said, +1,
    especially with regards to the premium bullets,
    Just not for the big bears.
    edited November -1
    i was looking at the new remingtons cdl rifle in 264win mag, any experince with them?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice rifle I think. Much like their old BDL. Good walnut stock with an ebony (plastic), steel crossbar (at least it looks like one) fore-end. It'll shoot good in just about any caliber.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not know that Remington offered the CDL in the .264. Was there a special run of it?

If it is offered in .264, it would likely have the 26 inch barrel, which will serve to optimize this great cartridge.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stevecrea,

It is a special run and it's in both the blue and stainless steel version with 26" barrels.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/special_runs/model_700_CDL_264.asp

Remington is also listing the Sendero SF II as being chambered for the .264 Win. Mag.

Best.