In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger hawkeye tactical 308

bigfoothunts@compoirum.nebigfoothunts@compoirum.ne Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Any body have hands on experience w/ this weapon?

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a standard Hawkeye in .257; wood stock, sporter profile barrel. Looks like the Tactical is basically the same rifle but with shorter/fatter tube and the synthetic stock.
    For my money the Hawkeye platform is the best bolt action Ruger has ever made. Bottom metal is sleek, well fitted and steel, much better recoil pad than on earlier 77's and a trigger that is somewhere between at least as good as the old, to superior.
    p.s.
    Welcome to the Forum!![:D]
  • ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in 3006 that I am having rebarreled to 9.3x62. I like it a lot. Nicer than the old M77. Wood to metal fit was very good, and quality of the wood is nice. Action was a little stiff when new, could have used a little more polishing, but that adds to the cost.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bigfoothunts@compoirum.ne,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

There are far better rifles available even though I like the basic Hawkeye action.

The Ruger Hawkeye is a definite improvement over previous versions of the M77 except I liked the original trigger better. However...

The term 'tactical' is applied loosely in this case but no differently than with other products trying to capitalize on that market. Ruger's just behind the curve.

The Hogue stock is the real drawback and doesn't perform up to the necessary requirements and expectations even on non-tactical rifles. It lacks rigidity and is too flexible for field work. I think it contributes to the overall mediocre accuracy performance that we got when shooting from both the bipod and bags at the range. More than likely it met the price point that Ruger required when trying to design their 'tactical' rifle.

Even though the Ruger proprietary rings perform well, they don't offer the flexibility of a more standardized system for which there are literally hundreds of accessories available. The same can be said for the floorplate also. I realize that Ruger will keep all of these proprietary features but it will limit the market for the reasons above. Using one of the more standardized systems, the average person can casually 'customize' their rifle by simply buying accessories and adding them onto their existing rifle.

I don't expect it to remain in their line for too long since sales will probably be weaker than desired by Ruger's bean counters.

Best.