In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Update: Win 1895 National Guard of CO

bkmach1bkmach1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Well, seems my original post got locked.

I was able to view and handle the Model 1895 I asked a question about a couple of weeks ago. I will take pictures tomorrow when the lighting is better to show general condition. Here's the description at this point.

Winchester Model 1895, caliber 30 U.S. (30-40 Krag)
Serial No. 20,116 (lower tang; goes "across" tang, not "along")
28" barreled musket
bayonet lug but bayonet missing.
Left side of Receiver: Manufacturer and patent dates
Right side of Receiver: National Guard of Colorado
Top Front of Receiver: 1 B 34
Redfield receiver mounted peep-site
Marking of "KSM" at following locations: hammer, lever, butt-plate and front of caliber stamp on barrel.
It doesn't look like the rear sight was installed as the top wood is not cut away. It is drilled and tapped for it though. (Maybe removed in re-fitting for peep-sight?)
I can't tell but looks like a 9 or a 6 pressed into the stock on the bottom side.

Action is very tight. Locks up great, trigger spring works great and magazine follower spring works good also. Cycles like it was new.

Metal in overall pretty decent shape. Bore seems to be good also, will check further tomorrow. Wood is showing wear of the times. Looks like might have been recoated at some point. Once again, will get pictures up tomorrow.

Brad

Comments

• Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will look foward to pics.[:)]
  • bkmach1bkmach1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's some pictures I've been able to take. If there are specific areas that need to be looked at let me know and I will get those pictures taken also.

If you look at the picture of the buttstock there is a round brass piece on the topside of the stock. Well, my friends dad inserted a small compass in there years ago.

IMG_1425-1.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1432.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    If you look closely at the picture above, you can see where the rear sight hole was filled in. Some tape was placed on the barrel and then the cap was filled in with putty or something, sanded off and recoated. I don't think any other part of the stock has been recoated.
    IMG_1438.jpg
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rear aperture sight is much newer than the rifle. Redfield produced sights, under the Redfield name, from the late 1920's forward.
  • bkmach1bkmach1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herschel, thanks for the info.

Update on the bore. I looked down it tonight. Rifling is still good but looks like is pitted or surface rust throughout. I'll have to get with a smith or shop to verify. Or anything I can do to check myself???
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it may be surface rust get some kroil and with a a very wet patch get the bore wet and let stand 24 hours Kroil will loosen the rust and NOT harm the bore now run a patch down the bore if it comes out dirty repeat with wet patch of kroil try this for at least 4 or 5 days After that time try 4or 5 patches if the last one is fairly clean then use some JB bore cleaner on a patch tight fitting and make 1/2 doz strokes . then clean patches after all tis you will see true condition of bore . You cant remove pits in metal but this will remove surface rust. BTW great looking gun to be as old as it is.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Brad,

That Model 1895 Musket was manufactured in the very early part of the year 1899 (serial number 19567 was the last Model 1895 made in they year 1898).

The rear sight (on the receiver) is not factory, and the drilled & tapped holes to mount it are a severe down grade to the collectability. The non-factory modified and refinished barrel handguard stock piece is also a big negative (along with the fact that the original sight is missing).

Overall, it is an interesting old Winchester, but it is not worth very much. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say $750 max on the value.
  • ludwighludwigh Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you took this to the Colorado Gun Collectors Association show in Denver, you might get around $2000 for it if you can find a Colorado Gun enthusiast. The sight issues and bore conditon have a large impact on its value. The sling that was issued with these by the Colorado National Guard is the same as issued with the Wincheser Lee rifles. The bayonet is the short winchester 1895 model of lee and 1895 models. This info is varified by a Colorado Guardsman Cabinet Card Photograph I have in my collection
    (taken around 1902 he is holding a 95 musket). I am a collector and enthusiast of Colorado National Guard history. I have a couple of these neat rifles. The top reciver numbers and letter are regimental marks, 1st Infantry Colorado National Guard. Only around 400 were bought by the State of Colorado and marked as such. Believe it or not you'll have to pay around $750 for the bayonet for this rifle.
    They have a very interesting history, much like the rest of the wild west history.

Terry
  • ludwighludwigh Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 B on the reciever Stands for 1st Infantry Co B which at the time the Colorado Guard issued this rifle was based in Denver. They were called up for the infamous, * Creek Mine Strike of 1904. They carried these rifles during the strike. There were shoot outs and murders and dinamitings, all kind of hell razing. Google "* Creek Strike 1904" and you read the history. The rifle should be displayed and not shot as it is a piece of history.

Terry