In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any info on Safari Arms?

ALCHEMIST1ALCHEMIST1 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
So I saw this sweeeet 1911 style fullsize pistol at the local gander mountain. Had the guy take it out of the case and show it to me. It had "Safari Arms" etched in the stainless frame on one side and "Matchmaster" etched on the stainless slide below the ejector port on the other side. The grips were wooden with a black scorpion motif and it had a finger groove. The slide to frame fit looked excellent, the trigger was excellent and crisp and the pistol itself looked like a semi-custom pistol. The price was $650 but I could probably get a few bucks off if I was to speak to the manager. What do y'all think? Would this be a good pistol to have? It's chambered in .45ACP BTW.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safari Arms is now Scheutzen Pistol Works, a division of Olympic Arms.
    http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

A new Matchmaster's retail price is $903.
    My gunsmith says their guns differ from real 1911 dimensions and specifications in some parts.
    I would want to testfire or get an ironclad money back guarantee before buying one.
  • ALCHEMIST1ALCHEMIST1 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

I would want to testfire or get an ironclad money back guarantee before buying one.

Thanks for this information. I'm not sure about sale policies at Gander but I'll check.
    edited November -1
    So I spoke to the manager at Gander about their firearm sale policies. First, they do not haggle on the firearm prices - BUT, she did say that if I were to purchase the pistol she could work something out with me such as say a free pistol cleaning kit, or free ammo or some such. Second, they have absolutely no money back guarantee - you pay for the pistol and take it home. If you don't like it, well take a TS chit and DON'T call us in the morning. She did however say that the gunsmith disassembles, cleans, puts back together and test fires every used pistol that they put up for sale - I could even watch the guy test fire this particular pistol before buying it. Third, she had absolutely no idea how many rounds had been fired through the pistol before they got it - BUT she said that the store policy is never to offer a firearm for sale which showed obvious signs of potential unsafe conditions for the shooter. So, I'm still not sure about the pistol. On the one hand, I think it's a really handsome looking beast, but on the other the fact that there are no money back guarantees concerns me a bit.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can there be a thread on the Safari Arms matchmaster without pictures?

wanted_angelina_jolie_gun.jpg

Wanted_21.JPG

Wanted1911.jpg

And here is what it looked like before Angelina Jolie got it:
    full-matchmaster5.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    How can there be a thread on the Safari Arms matchmaster without pictures?

Ooooooooh!!! That's why the pistol looked kinda familiar but at the same time kinda unfamiliar. Boy, she was a real badassssss in that flick. So if I bought the pistol would I be able to shoot the wings off a fly or bend a bullet shot through it?[:D]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:if I bought the pistol would I be able to shoot the wings off a fly or bend a bullet shot through it?[:D]

If your eyes are good, you might be able to do the first thing with enough practice. [;)]

The second thing. . .well. . .no matter how much skill you have, you can't defy the laws of physics.

By the way, I think $650 is probably a pretty good price for this gun, assuming its in good shape. If you can do better, so much the better.

Also, supposedly Jolie is in negotiations for "Wanted II". Yeah, even though her character died in the first one, of course they'd be bringing her back!
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

By the way, I think $650 is probably a pretty good price for this gun, assuming its in good shape. If you can do better, so much the better.

[/quote]

Thanks for that assessment. Based on what I saw, it seems to be in very good to excellent condition. I'm going to get it. I'll post pix when it's in my hands.